2013 Escalade ESV P0131 and P0171

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upstream sensors (sensor 1 on both banks) is supposed to switch up and down in voltage when operating properly. If it isn't switching (relatively flat line on the graph), the sensor is bad. The downstream sensors (post cat, sensor 2) will look more like a flat line as they are reporting your cats are working.

Since you are going to swap them with new, you likely will get a pretty good idea if you have one or two problems.

Makes sense, thanks!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, this issue has been resolved.
This weekend, my wife’s aunt (I’ll explain who she is and why she matters in my general discussion thread) contacted the service manager for the nearest Hendrick Cadillac dealership, in Monroe NC. She got him to squeeze me in for Monday, October 18th, as soon as I could get there.

I got off work Monday morning at 7:30AM in Spartanburg SC and cannonballed up to Monroe NC. There were a couple of misadventures along the way, but I got there at 10:15AM.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, 20 minutes into the drive, the check engine light went out…:mad:
The Service tech had my Escalade at 10:30 and got to work.

The tech confirmed the codes had been stored, but were not active. He looked at the data from HO2S bank 1 upstream, it looked stable. He recommended replacement of the sensor.

And here is where it all went wrong…

I had two new GM 213-3866 heated O2 sensors onhand. They could not use my parts due to policy. OK, whatever.
Then, the kick in the nuts. None of this was under warranty. I had read the warranty the previous night at work. However, I missed the significance of the wording in the ‘engine section’. The warranty only covers engine hard parts. Sensors and such are not covered.
Soooo…I paid $482.36 for the privilege of driving almost 4 hours both ways, having been up since 4:00PM the previous day, then having a Cadillac dealership Service department diagnose and replace the HO2S bank 1 upstream sensor that I had planned on replacing later this week. They installed a GM 12583804 HO2S.
I am stupid.

Most of you are now saying, “you shoulda‘ just left.” My wife pretty much cursed me out in saying that.
You are correct. However, I was still on the hook for the $100 diagnostic fee.
More importantly, my wife’s aunt went out on a limb and shook down the service manager on a Saturday afternoon to get me into the Service Department on Monday morning. I didn’t want to look like an a$$hole and cause flak that would get her in trouble. Make sense? That’s OK, it doesn’t have to…

So, the check engine light has stayed off, so I am saying it is good now.

Onto the next adventure!

Also, I replaced the HO2S bank 2 upstream sensor when I dropped the exhaust for the transmission work.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many other customers had to be pushed out if the way for yours to come in for something you, as well as others, told you was the issue.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many other customers had to be pushed out if the way for yours to come in for something you, as well as others, told you was the issue.
True enough. However...I thought it would be a warranty issue. I accept blame for this one.

Besides, I got my just comupance for this at the transmission shop yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094