2012 Tahoe rear 1.5 lift shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Late to the party, but I ran a 2" front, 1" rear lift for almost a year on the stock shocks with no problem. I didn't huck it on some whoops, though. It's a 2WD pavement pounder. I also had 1.5" wheel spacers on the stock wheels with stock tire size of 275/55-20. Had a little rub, but only at full lock. If I didn't have the spacers, it likely would not have rubbed.

@iamdub, what wheel spacers are you using?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub, what wheel spacers are you using?

WERE using. Took them off when I removed the lift to lower it.

I had these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQECY16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They were $10 cheaper back then. I never had a problem with them and they've been on my brother's 4WD Sierra for about a year now. We both drive "spiritedly" and he tows.

IMO, for a small lift, the wheels need to come out a little to maintain the proportions. Otherwise, it looks tall and skinny. The improved appearance is definitely worth the very minor rubbing. If I wanted to spend the extra money, I would've gotten 2" spacers for the rear since it's narrower than the front from the factory. But, a set of four in one size was considerably cheaper than two pairs of different sizes.

CAMASO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree the wheels need to come out a bit to be proportionate. I laughed when I read driving spiritedly! I’m going to purchase a set of spacers, so I appreciate the background. Thanks again for the link.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the wheels need to come out a bit to be proportionate. I laughed when I read driving spiritedly! I’m going to purchase a set of spacers, so I appreciate the background. Thanks again for the link.
@CAMASO I did that a few months ago. it was pretty straight forward you just need to cut the tips of your studs off to fit, like half an inch is all you cut off and its unthreaded so you aren't hurting anything.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Be sure to get hub-centric spacers with whichever ones you get, if you don't get the ones in that link.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@CAMASO I did that a few months ago. it was pretty straight forward you just need to cut the tips of your studs off to fit, like half an inch is all you cut off and its unthreaded so you aren't hurting anything.

This is correct. I think any spacer less than 1.75" thick requires the studs to be trimmed. I think I cut off about 3/8", but I wanted to cut the minimum necessary. You're just trimming off some of the unthreaded excess length- no worries.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct. I think any spacer less than 1.75" thick requires the studs to be trimmed. I think I cut off about 3/8", but I wanted to cut the minimum necessary. You're just trimming off some of the unthreaded excess length- no worries.
@iamdub I might end up going with 1.75 in the rear, the front seems to stick out quite a bit more than the back

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub I might end up going with 1.75 in the rear, the front seems to stick out quite a bit more than the back

It does stick out more. A wider front track reduces turning radius (cuz you're making a rectangle follow a circle) and helps with stability at high speed turns, such as with on/off ramps.

I thought the rear was 1" narrower. That's why I usually suggest 2" spacers in the rear and 1.5" in the front. It wouldn't hurt to measure yours before you order them, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout