2012 Escalade ESV - 175k -do I dare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have these things really appreciated that much?

Your question piqued my curiosity, so I did a quick KBB check.

At 205K miles, my Tahoe's median private party value is $8,511. Trade-in median value is $6,176. IIRC, these values are about $1,000 higher, if not more, than where they were last time I checked which had to have been a year or so ago.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah with how insanely expensive the new ones are, I can see the appeal of keeping a gmt900 going. Mine has the flipdown dvd, heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel. Rides like a cloud. Now has the 6.2. What more does a 70k new one get me? Other than better mpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah with how insanely expensive the new ones are, I can see the appeal of keeping a gmt900 going. Mine has the flipdown dvd, heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel. Rides like a cloud. Now has the 6.2. What more does a 70k new one get me? Other than better mpg

Still not enough improved MPG to make up for the cost! Dismissing the subjective factors such as appearance, you do get more and updated safety and convenience technologies (if/when they're functioning properly).

...Yeah, that's about it. $70K to save a couple bucks of fuel and to have the wonderful experience of getting well-acquainted with your dealer's service department and hopping the warranty hurdles.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not enough improved MPG to make up for the cost! Dismissing the subjective factors such as appearance, you do get more and updated safety and convenience technologies (if/when they're functioning properly).

...Yeah, that's about it. $70K to save a couple bucks of fuel and to have the wonderful experience of getting well-acquainted with your dealer's service department and hopping the warranty hurdles.
EXACTLY.... A basic 5.3 tuned will get in the low 20 mpg area all day long out of traffic. Now a 6.2 thats a different story.

Yeah, I hate warranties, I have a tool box full of tools, I can do almost anything the dealer can, maybe not as fast, But I have that ability. Only thing I lack is a Tech 2.

I can do alot with 70k....... Rather build what I want vs buy a standard dealership appliance, but some people want an appliance and dont mind loosing money every year....

More technology means more shit to go wrong........

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY.... A basic 5.3 tuned will get in the low 20 mpg area all day long out of traffic. Now a 6.2 thats a different story.

Yeah, I hate warranties, I have a tool box full of tools, I can do almost anything the dealer can, maybe not as fast, But I have that ability. Only thing I lack is a Tech 2.

I can do alot with 70k....... Rather build what I want vs buy a standard dealership appliance, but some people want an appliance and dont mind loosing money every year....

Plus when you perform a few repairs, you end up knowing the vehicle inside and out. Easy to maintain at that point.

I already did my engine swap, no repair scares me on this vehicle.

Frees up a lot of money for side projects or even like a z06 or zl1 or something more radical.

Jungle Jack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plus when you perform a few repairs, you end up knowing the vehicle inside and out. Easy to maintain at that point.

Frees up a lot of money for side projects or even like a z06 or zl1 or something more radical.

Exactly. Truthfully, a major factor in choosing a 900 was their ubiquity. After owning almost exclusively relatively low production vehicles with little to no platform sharing, holy crap is it amazing to have the options borne of the polar opposite.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Truthfully, a major factor in choosing a 900 was their ubiquity. After owning almost exclusively relatively low production vehicles with little to no platform sharing, holy crap is it amazing to have the options borne of the polar opposite.
Yeah, Same here somewhat/... My Model A and Yukon share alot of parts for suppliers, my 56 Dodge is a oddball that shares nothing hardly at all with anything else. Parts are rare and hard to source... Its nice having stuff that is interchangable.

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That sounds awful. I enjoy driving my vehicle, not fixing broken trash heaps.
Different strokes for different folks.

PPV - HD everything and a shit ton less electronic shit to break, hence the reason I pass on the high mileage Esky.
Ya, keep justifying stripped down trash.
I reckon so. Sorry, but I just don’t see the allure. They’re used hard, abused, idled all the time (even more if it’s a K9), have no interior, might smell like a dog, and don’t make sense money wise if you start trying to civilianize it since these trucks are all so cheap these days.

The electrical stuff is basically the same under the skin and the stuff that is different really doesn’t break that much. I just looked up a 13 PPV to refresh my memory and nothing is really that heavy duty as far as I can tell. Most of the stuff they added like the cooling stuff is standard on 6.2L trucks as far as I am aware. The 5.3L is the same and still has AFM so that’s certainly no better. Transmission is the same. Not sure which rear end a PPV has but if it is upgraded it is probably the standard for the 6.2L trucks. The dash still cracks. The larger generator, shocks, springs, and brake pads are the only real differences I’m seeing. Everyone says Mag Ride rides rough too and it has the auto leveling in the rear so I don’t see an advantage either way here.
Theres no advantage. Just a guy trying to justify having a lesser model. Pretty common.
Not going to civilianize it........I would have just bought another LTZ, the only thing I miss is the moonroof.

There are many differences, not really the place to hash that out. Looks up the front brake rotors.
Ya, keep thinking thats impressive bro.
Buying a vehicle like this you just need to accept that you will have a fair number of repairs. It’s not likely to be easy free sailing.

At that mileage I’d budget a rear main seal, oil pick up o ring and trans service in one shot. Then fluids for diff and transfer case.

I’m looking for a Denali/Burb/Escalade and these vehicles definitely have a lot of owners ignoring maintenance.
Yes, these things are mostly all ready for the junkyard (or buy here pay here lots, not much difference)
A better looking, performing vehicle, with more and better (and still functioning) options. Just because you can't afford it, stop trying to convince yourself its "better". Its not

"Ya **** having the inevitable gm broken shit fixed for free, i like spending money and time fixing garbage!" **** outta here with that dumb shit. Btw, people who can afford it dont care. Youre a straight idiot if you think your older model appliance isnt.. an appliance. Hell, any gm vehicle is an appliance at best. Of course, id expect that level of intelligence from someone who thinks its spelled "loosing"

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chadw

That sounds awful. I enjoy driving my vehicle, not fixing broken trash heaps.

You enjoy driving, others enjoy making them faster and/or lower and/or louder and/or anything other than what it was originally. Why would you care?

Ya, keep justifying stripped down trash.

Lacking options doesn't make a vehicle "trash". Pretty sure the reason he bought his PPV was to have a fast Tahoe, meaning bells and whistles (read: unnecessary weight) weren't wanted. Refer to his sig line- he has "drivers"

Theres no advantage. Just a guy trying to justify having a lesser model. Pretty common.

There's plenty of advantage. Power adjustable pedals, electronic climate controls and pretty lights aren't conducive to speed. If your goal with a vehicle is to have seats that keep your balls cool, then no, there's no advantage there.

Ya, keep thinking thats impressive bro.

News flash: Some people don't buy or build vehicles to try to impress others. Most of us on this forum outgrew that in high school.

A better looking, performing vehicle, with more and better (and still functioning) options.

This is irrelevant. Looks and personal definition of "performance" are subjective. More options doesn't mean "better" to everyone. If you two lined up to race, you would be stomped. If you two had a contest to see whose ass would be chilled first, you'd take that trophy. Hooray for you. Let's hear it for Chad's gigantic (but cooled) *****!

Just because you can't afford it, stop trying to convince yourself its "better". Its not

Again, refer to his sig line- he obviously can afford an Escalade or whatever. Just because someone CAN afford something, doesn't mean they want nor have to have it.

"Ya **** having the inevitable gm broken shit fixed for free, i like spending money and time fixing garbage!" **** outta here with that dumb shit. Btw, people who can afford it dont care. Youre a straight idiot if you think your older model appliance isnt.. an appliance. Hell, any gm vehicle is an appliance at best. Of course, id expect that level of intelligence from someone who thinks its spelled "loosing"

Why are you so hung up on whether-or-not someone can afford something? It's not about that. There's no reason to be a snob on a forum predominated by automotive hobbyists.

Not everyone wants what Chad wants. Not everyone has to have what Chad has. Not everyone gives a shit about how their vehicle compares to Chad's, or anyone else's vehicle. You're a pitiful person to have to compare your vehicle to others to build yourself up.

Ugh. Look at this stripped-down trash heap. No power windows or locks, no power lumbar adjustment, no driver position memory. It's such a waste that someone spends their time and money fixing this garbage:

174078465.jpg

266462990.jpg

Last edited: