2011 Tahoe White/Blue Smoke on Startup, Dealer Says New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I give the dealer another shot or fix the issues myself? If I send it back, they'll doubtless charge hundreds or more for the various fixes for labor.

The truck has run fantastic since replacing the lost oil. Not a hint of smoking, runs just fine. I'm inclined to install the valve cover, disable the AFM, run some engine cleaner through, and then watch the oil now fully aware of the issue.

You don't need the dealer or any mechanic shop at this point because you have us and a game plan. :fuckyea::cheers::console:

pwol1962

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on startup with occasional light blue smoke for several seconds and oil consumption with our 2007 Tahoe which now has 138K miles. I purchased an AFM disabler several years ago and no longer have the smoke on startup and oil consumption is nearly eliminated. The AFM disabler resulted in less than 1/2 mile per gallon fuel economy loss. Purchase your AFM from the manufacturer to ensure it has the latest software installed and warranty coverage.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
UPDATE AGAIN

Spoke to the Dealer service manager, told them I was disgusted with their lack of diagnosis and the service manager actually agreed. The service manager said the technician who claimed I needed an engine replacement basically did nothing to diagnose the issue, just looked at mileage and oil loss and equated that to bad piston /oil rings which explains why they only spent an hour or less actually "diagnosing" the problem.

The service manager brought up all the other issues that can plague this model year, like the valve cover and the TSB with the oil consumption warnings, AFM issues, etc.. Offered to personally send a loaner vehicle over, pickup our Tahoe, and properly diagnose the problem.

I already bought a replacement valve cover to do the job myself and bought an AFM disabler.

Should I give the dealer another shot or fix the issues myself? If I send it back, they'll doubtless charge hundreds or more for the various fixes for labor.

The truck has run fantastic since replacing the lost oil. Not a hint of smoking, runs just fine. I'm inclined to install the valve cover, disable the AFM, run some engine cleaner through, and then watch the oil now fully aware of the issue.
With him admitting that to you he should at least refund you the money they charged you for the ******** diagnosis. I def wouldn't give them another chance to screw you over.

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could easily be something as simple as worn valve seals.

If it were me, I'd do a DOD delete and keep driving it. I bet it's fine.

If you are looking into additives, the Liquimoly line of products actually work. I am using their MOS2 additive to quiet my cammed engine down and it actually does work.

You could try their engine flush then do an oil change, then add the Moly additive

https://products.liqui-moly.com/additives/oil-sludge-flush.html
https://products.liqui-moly.com/additives/truck-series-oil-treatment.html
Sounds like valve guide seals to me also

Esler32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another vote for possible valve seal replacement. Using a compressor & valve spring compressor tool of your choice , is a time consuming but easy job.

I agree with Frank most likely valve guide seals usually happens on an older engine with high mileage they get dry and brittle and crack causing a puff of smoke at start up only

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change the valve cover, install a catch can, and keep an eye on it and consumption with the dipstick.

^^^^THIS. Plus the disabling device, and keep an eye on your oil level for the love of God. You don't want to see that low oil light come on that is an idgit light.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The report reads like the tech is blaming worn rings for low oil pressure which is not possible, I also don't see where you complained about low oil pressure.

The smoke is likely oil getting in the combustion chamber which can occur when one or more oil rings are failing but that is highly unlikely at 147k, as others have mentioned there are other more likely causes at your mileage.

At any rate there is no reason to replace an engine for smoking a little when it is cold, even if it is worn rings the only downside to running it is having to be diligent about checking the oil and living with some cold start puffing out the exhaust, but I would definitely not trust that dealership with anything more involved than replacing floor mats.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Just my 02 cents, Worn rings dont reveal themselves in an overnight senario such as you have described. The only reason the service writer is agreeing with your complaint is because they got caught. Had you simply left the vehicle on initial diagnosis they would have zapped you for $6400 and never said anything. Welcome to finding a trustworthy mechanic, Find a new mech/dealer and never go back there. I am old school and agree with the previous diagnosis of valvecover "first" but no "snake oil additives" to free "possible" oil control rings. Placing solvent in the cylinders per the tsb is a "messy" pita if your not a mech. I would advise changing the valvecover and doing 3000 mile oil changes for awhile to help clean things up in the piston ring area. The catch can is also a good idea based upon cost. Simple spark plug inspection will reveal whether the consumption is all cylinders or isolated to specific ones. My experience with stem seal diagnosis is they leak/weep into the cylinder "static" but for some reason create wet threads on the spark plugs. As you remove the plugs if they are all oil fouled than my guess is oil control rings, If only a few plugs are fouled and they have wet threads than stem seals on those cyls. If only a few plugs are fouled with dry spark plug threads than it is your valve cover/afm and the new valve cover/catch can will fix the issue.