2011 Tahoe what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you live where rust is an issue? If so, check the lower seams of all doors and the hood for rust. Rear door are the worst, but the tailgate can be bad. Also check the rear wheel well openings. Look for rust at the seam where the inner/outer fenders meet. Also look for waveyness or pinholes above or in front of the rear wheels on the outside of the fender. This is a common place for rust to appear, and not an easy one to fix.

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

What part of the country do you live? That will have a large bearing on any kind of rust issues.

As for things to look for:

1) If you end you buying it, I would plan on replacing all the fluids: Oil, Transmission, Power Steering, Brake, Differentials, Transfer case if 4WD, Coolant.

2) Air suspension, listen to see if the air compressor runs for just a short, 3-5 secs, after starting the vehicle. If you don’t hear it run at all, the compressor may be dead. If it runs for an extended period of time, you could have a bad compressor or a leaky air bladder on a shock. I’d budget for replacing both parts, shocks and air compressor. That’s about $600-$700. Arnott AS2708’s are good options for the shocks and Arnott has a good compressor. Front struts are possibly needed as well.

3) Many folks disable AFM either through a disabled device, or a tune.

4) The transmission may be at a point that it will need some service. At the minimum pan drop and a new filter.

5) I’d make sure the 3rd row seats are able to be folded and tumbled and removed and then unfolded. They can sometimes have plastic clips that break and won’t let you unfold the seats.

6) I’d plan on getting new plugs and wires.

I’m on my 4th one of these and have had all these issues and still would not want to drive anything else.

I got a 2012 Yukon Denali bought private sale. When I was looking it over I noticed the driver side rear air bag was blown. The compressor was running for about a few seconds after start up...I didn't count it... maybe more like 10 then 5. Someone not on this forum suggested pulling the fuse to the compressor while I drive it home or until I can get it fixed later this week to keep the compressor from running. Any thoughts on that? Is that gonna work and keep that compressor good if it is not trashed? Seller claimed he did not know it was blown so he did not know how long it had been like that.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a 2012 Yukon Denali bought private sale. When I was looking it over I noticed the driver side rear air bag was blown. The compressor was running for about a few seconds after start up...I didn't count it... maybe more like 10 then 5. Someone not on this forum suggested pulling the fuse to the compressor while I drive it home or until I can get it fixed later this week to keep the compressor from running. Any thoughts on that? Is that gonna work and keep that compressor good if it is not trashed? Seller claimed he did not know it was blown so he did not know how long it had been like that.
You can pull the fuse if you want. If you’re getting new shocks soon, not sure I’d mess with doing that.

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score
You can pull the fuse if you want. If you’re getting new shocks soon, not sure I’d mess with doing that.[/QUOT

I think you suggested Arnott shocks....just do both now? I think the guy I bought it from said you could just put a new air bag on them....? But, I am thinking just do new shocks with the bag on them...right? It has 155xxx miles on them and he has not replaced them.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would replace both rear shocks as I am sure they are both used up. I recommend the AS-2708's. They also retain the Auto Ride function.

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score
I was dead set on a 2011 Tahoe LTZ. But we just kept find Yukon’s that we liked. End up with this 2012 Yukon Denali 155xxx.
45F38DCA-42E0-4B7A-9725-76C1CCAB12C8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts