2011 Tahoe Tow Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume if your RPO sticker says GU6, then that's what you have. To confirm, your engine speed should be dead-nuts at 2000 rpm at 80 mph, assuming you have the stock wheels/tires.

The limiting factor on "how much can I tow" is not payload, GCWR or GVWR. It's your rear axle rating. This is common with most SUVs. RAWR will be the first number exceeded. And you don't want to exceed it. My 2001 Suburban is wearing rear axle #4 precisely because I towed too-heavy stuff.

You have a couple of things working against you - that weak rear axle, and the shorter wheelbase of a Tahoe. I towed a 7,000-lb trailer with my 01 Suburban, and it was certainly not boring. Couldn't imagine doing that with a Tahoe.

IMHO, you should look at any trailer classified as a "half-ton towable.". That'll mean dry weights around 4000-4500, and loaded weights around 5000-5500.

With a short-wheelbase tow vehicle, I would also recommend one of the sway-elimination hitches like the Hensley Arrow. They're not cheap, but they're extremely effective. Especially if you're looking to get a longer trailer, like 26 or 28 feet. Google "trailer length vs wheelbase" to learn the physics.

And you can do all the math you want, but at the end of the day, the only way to know for sure is to load up your rig and drive onto a scale. It costs $11. I do it EVERY TIME I tow, just to be sure.

Screenshot_20210112-082006_Imgur.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan