2011 Tahoe Pad & Rotor recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello forum members,

Its time to do the 2nd brake job on my 2011 Tahoe RWD LT. It now has approx 110K miles and the first brake job included AC/Delco pads only, replaced front and back @ around 60k miles.

Although I'm not getting any pulsating or vibration from the rotors when applying my brakes, should I replace the rotors as well this time (they are smooth with no lip on the edges).

AC/Delco keeps changing their part numbers, which pads & if need be rotors I should go with, OEM or aftermarket and if aftermarket which setup ya'll suggest for a daily driver.

thanks
jcs

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.. Please replace those rotors. They wear.. Metal disappears and they get weaker.
Any "Good" brand of parts store pads and rotors will be fine as long as you are doing the
job correctly.
For a bit of an upgrade if desired you can look at powerstop rotors and pads.
Of course the actual OE stuff is great, just more expensive (usually)
I always recommend replacing the rotors on a brake job. The only time I'd ever do
a "pad slap" is when it's heading to auction or similar...
Make sure to clean all your surfaces thoroughly .. clean and lube the caliper slides correctly
and use loctite on the caliper mount brackets and caliper bolts...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello forum members,

Its time to do the 2nd brake job on my 2011 Tahoe RWD LT. It now has approx 110K miles and the first brake job included AC/Delco pads only, replaced front and back @ around 60k miles.

Although I'm not getting any pulsating or vibration from the rotors when applying my brakes, should I replace the rotors as well this time (they are smooth with no lip on the edges).

AC/Delco keeps changing their part numbers, which pads & if need be rotors I should go with, OEM or aftermarket and if aftermarket which setup ya'll suggest for a daily driver.

thanks
jcs
I would change them. I'd also service the other hardware, boots, change the fluid, etc.

The GM OE rotor is 22968231 or 177-1149, they can usually be turned once but I like new ones with each set of pads.

The GM OE rear pad set is 19329677 or 171-0999.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello forum members,

thanks
jcs
I agree that changing the rotors is a a good idea, but they also have specific tolerances that if still within them, it's acceptable to reuse them. 1.5 mm of thickness loss from new is the limit for the factory rotors, and they are 20mm thick when new. If you have a caliper and can measure them in a few places, and the surfaces remain free of ridges or other defects, then reusing them is okay.

OP
OP
J

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Forum members for your replies and recommendations. I will certainly change the front rotors since most of the breaking weight is done by the front brakes.

thanks again
JCS

jdwood1111

Reaction score
I’m going to have to do the fronts on my 2011 with 97k as well. Pads are 4mm but I’m getting some pulsating now. I have always had good luck with Centric rotors and posi quiet pads and thinking of trying that but the size of this truck makes me think I need something a little stronger. Powerstop seems to be well liked here on the forum as well as the Honda and Acura forums I have been active on in the past.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my stock stuff with cryo-tempered PowerStop and Hawk pads a few years ago. They were pulsating and lurching within 1,000 miles, most of which being 800+ road trip miles to Tampa meaning they had very little actual use. I'm glad I kept the stock parts. After the Hawk pads were spent (about 50K miles), I had a local shop resurface the stock rotors for $8 each. I got new AC Delco pads and have been shake-free ever since.

I was told by the guys at O'Reilly that they quit turning rotors and were getting rid of their lathe. They said the new rotors coming out are a thinner, use-once-and-dispose (or recycle) design. I'm gonna hang onto my stock stuff as long as possible, or until I can upgrade with even better stock stuff like the '21+ PPV brakes. Actually, I just picked up some sub-30K, mostly-highway-mile calipers, brackets, rotors and pads for $50. Takeoffs from a guy that got the GM Brembo kit for his '19 Suburban. Pretty much the same as my original stuff, but about 190K miles fresher. He even coated them in cosmoline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24