2011 Tahoe/hollowed catalytic converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ca is obd port test and visual inspection only, they do not hook anything else up. as of this year they check for tunes though. mine passed with a carb approved tune.
there is no "cat delete" carb approved tune

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe Lt 5.3 4wd
recently bought this vehicle and come to find out all 3 catalytic converters are hollowed out I had changed all 4 oxygen sensors because I had permanent code p0430 and p0420 codes SUV runs fine and all I can even pass smog inspection no check engine light I can remote start it I'm just wondering how the hell can it pass smog and why no check engine light ?

For those who come along later, P0420 and P0430 are catalytic converter codes. These two don't mean your O2 sensors are bad, they have their own codes. They mean what they say they are, bad cats. The only time this posts a false positive is when there is a large exhaust leak but such is in the troubleshooting guide anyway.

As for the OPs issues, sounds like the previous owner "took care" of it.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
If in doubt change the y pipe with new cats.

Last i saw i could get a brand new gm y pipe for the 6.2 for under 1k, but I'm it went up since then.

OP
OP
S

seakone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those who come along later, P0420 and P0430 are catalytic converter codes. These two don't mean your O2 sensors are bad, they have their own codes. They mean what they say they are, bad cats. The only time this posts a false positive is when there is a large exhaust leak but such is in the troubleshooting guide anyway.

As for the OPs issues, sounds like the previous owner "took care" of it.
was taken care of except the fact there was vacuum and exhaust leaks "exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, exhaust pipe to cat gaskets" so I'm pretty sure instead of paying for all that work he had someone hallow the cats out maybe because they where damaged ? I fixed all leaky gaskets myself and that's how I noticed them hallowed

Attachments

• 20221211_182832.jpg
    20221211_182832.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 10

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been tuned to not report/set the CEL with those codes... It's pretty common
to do this when removing the cats or in your case getting rid of their function.
If it passes what your state requires, then Drive On !!!!
No harm, no foul. You won't have to worry about them and the downstream
O2 sensors. Just enjoy !!!

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they hook up OBD2 to computer and a adapter to gas tank cap if any check engine light or "evap leaks" you don't pass
Not where I live in TX. Where do you live?
Here the inspection hasn't changed in 50+ yrs :) Check the lights, wipers, and horn, hand'em your proof of insurance, $7.50 and see ya next yr.

OP
OP
S

seakone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not where I live in TX. Where do you live?
Here the inspection hasn't changed in 50+ yrs :) Check the lights, wipers, and horn, hand'em your proof of insurance, $7.50 and see ya next yr.
they see a check engine light they won't even start the inspection, Houston. I have my ways of getting one if need be but I just wanted to know how this would be lol on my car I had they looked at one of my tires had barely any thread they failed me

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they see a check engine light they won't even start the inspection, Houston. I have my ways of getting one if need be but I just wanted to know how this would be lol on my car I had they looked at one of my tires had barely any thread they failed me
Where I go (QuicKie Lube type place) they don't look inside the vehicle. You stay in your vehicle, they walk up to your window ask for POI, guide you in, ask for the mileage, etc, etc. They probably do look at tires and listen for obvious exhaust issue(s).

They inspect trailers these days like my enclosed car trailer and flunked mine once for a burnt out light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844