2011 Suburban Power Recline Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Suburban. Driving home on a 1,000 mile trip, my wife, sitting in the front passenger seat, reclined (power) the seat to take a nap. When she woke up she went to move the seatback up, it wouldn't budge. Right now the motor will run when you try to recline the seat, but it sounds as if it's stripped out. But, when you try to move the seatback forward, the motor doesn't even run.

At this point, I'll be fine if I can just figure out how to manually get the seat upright again and just live without having it recline. It's really uncomfortable for anyone sitting in that seat with it reclined and it's really inconvenient for anyone trying to get into the second row behind it.

Today, I went out and completely removed the seatback from the base and disassembled it as far as I comfortably could. I couldn't figure out how to remove the recline motor or figure out how to manually adjust the recline.

Has anyone ever dealt with this or been into these seats like this before?

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you ended up doing, but I have the same exact problem right now. I'm currently waiting on a new switch for the seat and hoping that fixes it and that it's not the motor.

OP
OP
1badgmc

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's actually in the shop right now. I completely removed the seatback myself trying to see if I could just manually get it upright and call it done and not have to take it in, but I had no luck. It's going to take a new seatback/motor assembly and new switch to the tune of around $750. I don't have any good salvage yards around here or I'd go hunting down an entire passenger seat and replace it, but there just aren't any full power heated passenger seats around here.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. I started checking car-part.com in case its the motor and found seats. Just don't know if they are full power but also very far. eBay has a couple, but want an arm for shipping.

Doesn't make sense that gm has it pictured as a separate part online but no part number to order.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1badgmc

1badgmc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah. It sucks donkey balls, but it has to be fixed. My wife can't stand riding like a hooptie any longer.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah of course, but I'm trying to be optimistic the switch fixes it, but doubting it now.

Did a bit more research, trying to find the recliner motor and came across this post:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/index.php?threads/65152/

The motor is in one of the pictures, and seems it's a standard Bosch AHC motor.

Checked on eBay with the search: "BOSCH Recline Power Seat Motor" and there's quite a few listing for other cars that use the same motor. Gonna prepare myself for the worse and buy one and swap the motor.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy to report the switch I ordered fixed the seat recline. I had disassembled the old switch and the contacts inside are similar to how a relay makes contact. It must of been worn out or something.

Concretepoleman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Happy to report the switch I ordered fixed the seat recline. I had disassembled the old switch and the contacts inside are similar to how a relay makes contact. It must of been worn out or something.

Lucky!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan