2010 Tahoe LT w/ 67k Buy or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

johnny_88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and brought it home today. I’m very happy with it. It runs and drives like new. I put close to 100 miles on it today lol. Despite the rear shocks having some rust, the rear suspension is firm and feels good. On top of the work I mentioned the dealer was doing they also put new stabilizer links on it. I am contacting a shop that does tuning tomorrow to have the afm turned off. We have e-checks in my county and I don’t want the hassle of unplugging the range plug and going through the driving cycles before I can have it inspected. The oil will be changed religiously at 3k intervals, that’s always been a rule of mine no matter what vehicle I’ve owned. Is there any difference in running E85 vs E87 gas besides the price?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and brought it home today. I’m very happy with it. It runs and drives like new. I put close to 100 miles on it today lol. Despite the rear shocks having some rust, the rear suspension is firm and feels good. On top of the work I mentioned the dealer was doing they also put new stabilizer links on it. I am contacting a shop that does tuning tomorrow to have the afm turned off. We have e-checks in my county and I don’t want the hassle of unplugging the range plug and going through the driving cycles before I can have it inspected. The oil will be changed religiously at 3k intervals, that’s always been a rule of mine no matter what vehicle I’ve owned. Is there any difference in running E85 vs E87 gas besides the price?
Congrats! Welcome to the club! Don’t be a stranger around here.

OP
OP
J

johnny_88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congrats! Welcome to the club! Don’t be a stranger around here.
Thanks! Glad to be a part of it! I’ll definitely be active on here, I’m sure I’ll have questions for you all and will do my best to answer questions others have too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference in running E85 vs E87 gas besides the price?
The engine and transmission will adjust to it and feel much better, the engine loves the stuff. It's literally like race gas to them. It will run slightly cooler, make more power and it also cleans out the system, cleans off the valves and pistons too.

OP
OP
J

johnny_88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The engine and transmission will adjust to it and feel much better, the engine loves the stuff. It's literally like race gas to them. It will run slightly cooler, make more power and it also cleans out the system, cleans off the valves and pistons too.
Great! Thanks for the info!

Ont240

Reaction score
I found a 2010 Tahoe LT with the luxury package for sale and the dealer is currently holding it for me. It has 67k. The interior is in fantastic shape and the exterior is too but the underside does have a fair amount of rust. I do plan on getting it undercoated and rust proofed. I’m in northeast Ohio so this isn’t a surprise. It was owned by two people and came from New York. The dealer is putting new brakes/rotors on the front and rear as well as new tires. I noticed the trans line from the cooler had a leak and they are fixing that too. I do plan on doing the afm delete. The engine is clean and runs smooth, no noises. I’ll be trading my 15 Accord w/ 86k in for it. Just curious on everyone’s thoughts, this will be my first Tahoe.
Expect to spend a lot more on gas!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've never heard of E87. I'm pretty sure you meant 87, as in regular 87 octane fuel.

Everything James (@swathdiver) said. E85 has about 27% less energy than E0 (regular, non-ethanol gas). So, you can expect a 27% drop in fuel mileage. The thing is, E85 from the pump is rarely, if ever, 85% ethanol. It's usually around 60-something percent. 60 is 70% of 85 and 70% of 27% is about 19%. So, you can expect about a 19% drop in MPG, assuming the "E85" at the pump is actually 60% ethanol.

To break even, the "E85" you're getting would have to be about 19% cheaper than regular gas, which is usually 10% ethanol (E10) or less.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of E87. I'm pretty sure you meant 87, as in regular 87 octane fuel.

Everything James (@swathdiver) said. E85 has about 27% less energy than E0 (regular, non-ethanol gas). So, you can expect a 27% drop in fuel mileage. The thing is, E85 from the pump is rarely, if ever, 85% ethanol. It's usually around 60-something percent. 60 is 70% of 85 and 70% of 27% is about 19%. So, you can expect about a 19% drop in MPG, assuming the "E85" at the pump is actually 60% ethanol.

To break even, the "E85" you're getting would have to be about 19% cheaper than regular gas, which is usually 10% ethanol (E10) or less.
This is data from my truck:

1644553775965.png

The difference between the fuels is about 21% in fuel economy. Sometimes less as you can see at higher speeds.

OP
OP
J

johnny_88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It’s really hard to find E85 and yes I meant E87 as in regular 87 fuel which is what I’ve had to put in it. Is there any issues with running 87 and not 85? I went to 6 different gas stations near me and none of them had 85.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
About the only areas you'll find 85 octane gas is at higher altitudes. It's our low grade here in Denver, at 5K+ feet AMSL.

Also, E85 is not available everywhere, so it may be more difficult to find if you want to use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT