2010 Tahoe LT w/ 67k Buy or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I will. I browsed autotrader for ones that haven’t seen winter weather but only a couple caught my eye. The hassle/cost of shipping, potentially having to get a rental car, the wait time and not being able to physically see it are factors I’d rather not deal with. I’m going into this expecting there will be things that will come up at some point. Currently waiting on the service department to get in touch with me, go over their assessment, and what repairs they will be doing. The ones I mentioned were obvious ones anyone could notice. I also want them to put it on the lift after the repairs are done and I test drive it so I can thoroughly inspect it before I make my final decision.
Road trips are fun, make the most of them. I purchased mine 699 miles away from home, took a one way rental and drove it back. Kids still talk about it. Then we sent the kids to Idaho to pick up the Sierra, they drove it back 2500+ miles. Memories for a lifetime. Besides getting us from A to B, these things can make memories.

Attachments

• 20180809 - 39.JPG
    20180809 - 39.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200808 - 05.jpg
    20200808 - 05.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200922 - Plant Bamboo - 01.jpeg
    20200922 - Plant Bamboo - 01.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201220 - U-Haul at Cracker Barrel.jpeg
    20201220 - U-Haul at Cracker Barrel.jpeg
    551.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181201_104831_Film1.jpg
    20181201_104831_Film1.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 5

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '08 is surviving at just over 100k. Shocks, struts, front wheel bearings and brakes have been the main replacement items.
Winter chemicals are not friendly to these trucks though.
Recently the rear differential has been the outstanding problematic item that will need rebuilding or replacement. Finding a knowledgeable mechanic has been a hardship; some like to throw parts at it but don't know how to diagnose the noises so one fix creates another issue.

The reason we hang on is that it's capable, roomy and doesn't have the engine issues that new ones seem to have.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't bought it yet, check the inner door and tailgate seams for rust. Also check the rear fenders around the wheel lips for any signs of paint bubbling
or paint loss. That is where they rust first. Spray some fluid film on the inside of that rear seam (you may have to remove some interior trim or pull the weatherstripping
on the back of the door frame) until it drips on the floor to prevent further corrosion.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I can't speak for the 2010 model but I have a 2007 LT which I bought in 08 with 24k on it and it now has 306K. It has been a great rig, repairs have been the standard maintenance replacements, including front wheel bearings. I also use the Range plug in unit to shut down the AFM, if you purchase make sure you stay on top of the oil changes, the AFM system doesn't like overused oil. As someone mentioned, closely check the edges of the front fenders and top right edges of the rear wheel openings, bottom edges of doors and tailgate. I have 2017 as well and to be frank, I like the 2007 better. Obviously with 306k on it, I have put it through its paces and its performed well.

OhioRiver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found a 2010 Tahoe LT with the luxury package for sale and the dealer is currently holding it for me. It has 67k. The interior is in fantastic shape and the exterior is too but the underside does have a fair amount of rust. I do plan on getting it undercoated and rust proofed. I’m in northeast Ohio so this isn’t a surprise. It was owned by two people and came from New York. The dealer is putting new brakes/rotors on the front and rear as well as new tires. I noticed the trans line from the cooler had a leak and they are fixing that too. I do plan on doing the afm delete. The engine is clean and runs smooth, no noises. I’ll be trading my 15 Accord w/ 86k in for it. Just curious on everyone’s thoughts, this will be my first Tahoe.
That is low miles on that vehicle. Most 5.3 engines easily go over 250,000 or more.

stevedonato

Reaction score
$19k. The rear shocks are rusty but I didn’t see any leaking from them. By the looks of them I was planning on replacing them. I brought it up to the dealer but unless they are leaking they won’t replace them. Not a big deal since they are fairly inexpensive. I’m doing the afm bypass that plugs in.
"Check the price on the Air Shocks. On my 2003 Lexus LS430, 4 Air shocks cost $8,000 plus install labor cost."

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
$250 per corner, in these inflationary times, the longevity, as well as the unmatched ride quality that's 1st to none on a 3 ton SUV is unheard of. For another $50 you can get to baller status with Arnott's products and have guaranteed for life per corner.

That's like having a beer mug or cocktail glass automatically refill when it's put in the fridge overnight (x4). :drink_nl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu