2009 Yukon Hybrid Brakes are hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tusi Saau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After driving a short distance i found my front brakes were on fire. I also found the car accelerated quickly after releasing the brakes. I thought I had locked brakes and replaced the entire front brakes (pads, rotors, calipers, bled them as well). After a few weeks the rear started coming extremely hot with the same odd acceleration issues. I ended up replacing the entire rear brakes of the car and it was fine for a few weeks, but the acceleration issue started again and the brakes were becoming hot again. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. I’m not much help on this. I had the same hot brake issues for a while and changed everything you did only to find I had a bad new brake line. I have no idea if hybrid brakes are the same or what may be causing the surging issue but others with experience will chime in.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving a short distance i found my front brakes were on fire. I also found the car accelerated quickly after releasing the brakes. I thought I had locked brakes and replaced the entire front brakes (pads, rotors, calipers, bled them as well). After a few weeks the rear started coming extremely hot with the same odd acceleration issues. I ended up replacing the entire rear brakes of the car and it was fine for a few weeks, but the acceleration issue started again and the brakes were becoming hot again. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions

your not the only person to have this problem... mine had dragging rear brakes as well (also the rear brakes did not work tell all 4 locked up) dry/sticky caliper pins

this is more likely an inherent manufacture defect... i would contact the NHTSA and make a report save the old parts

dry/sticky caliper pins??

I had my brakes lock up before while going 55mph on a off ramp(100% braking power applied wheels locked) .. as i had also lost all electrical power for a moment as well...likely it was an emergency powerloss stop..( this also happens if the engine stalls out from a autostop resume...)
mostly likely if someone is behind you they will hit you. As the brake lights will not turn on.. if that resume stall out was to occur..

almost lost control, flipped the suv while nearly hitting two other cars.. luckily they were paying attention and moved out of my way..

turned out it was the 12v+battery was bad and the cables had became loose... most

i would have it load tested and check and see if the cables are loose (this is pretty common for them to come loose ) they should be seated to the bottom of the battery post..

the hybrid is equipped with electronic braking.. this is so regen braking can work(i.e electric motor braking)

since your brakes caught "fire" as you claim i would replace the brake fluid and have the lines inspected for damage..

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A friend of mine recently had his brakes overhauled, the modules. He might be able to offer some assistance. @RebelBelle

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with my new calipers I rechecked the guide pins and one was vacuum locked. I don’t get how that happened but since pulling, cleaning, and relubing no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu