2009 Tahoe LTZ 6.2 - still looking - need more info from owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just heard that the 6.2 motor was only released in the 2009 Tahoe's and that they are gone in 2010. Is this correct? I can only find a couple 6.2's left ($60K!) and wonder your opinion is of them? Thinking bigger is usually better, and rare is usually even better than that, it sounds good, except the slightly poorer gas mileage. Is the pulling power more? Is the truck/motor/tranny reliable? (I think I heard something somewhere about tranny issues). How about the rest of the truck? Anything good new in 2010?
Thanks

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 doesn't bring anything significant to the table from what i've read. the 6.2 is great, drove a couple denali's with it, friend has an 08' pickup with it, changes the driving experience alot. Hit the gas and you're gone. If you can afford it do it, i would've, but i'm not spending another 4k on the truck for the bigger motor. all the 6.2's around here had EVERY option including the power running boards, which i don't like at all, I like mine in place to protect the sides from chipping (big issue i had with my TBSS). But at the price point of the 6.2's, from what i've seen, it's just about worth getting a denali ,interior is nicer and the resale even that much better you know? Unless the AWD v 4WD is a problem for you. I like the look of the tahoe better, but i would take a denali any idea if the price were the same for the interior. good luck and yes there are no more 6.2 tahoes being made, rare? yeah, but i highly doubt it will make you anything extra on a trade, or sale of the truck besides the difference in price from a 5.3 when purchased. Drive them both. be careful though the 6.2's power is like "Crack" to us car guys lol

ps i did hear variable valve timing is coming for the 5.3, that would be important. even though the output may not be significantly increased you will feel it while passing people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have heard the resale is better on the Denali. Sweet ride. Big motor but lots of gas, AWD gets stuck in the sand more easily.

Anyway, there are only like 3 left within 300 miles of Boston (Black/Ebony, Gold Mist/Cashmere, Diamond White/Ebony), so pretty soon the decision may be made for me - the 6.2 LTZ's soon will all be gone! Can't really go wrong with any of them. SLT2, LTZ 6.2/5.3, Denali, (Escalade-too much $$ for me). When it all comes down to it whoever gives me the best deal probably wins, they all have their pluss' and minus' and I'll just "have to" deal with it - poor boy;-). Still, I very much appreciate everyones input to help me make an informed decision.

Last edited:

scottrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2008 6.2 and i LOVE it. it is soooo fast. believe me, it is well worth it.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the resale is better on the Denali. Sweet ride. Big motor but lots of gas, AWD gets stuck in the sand more easily.

Anyway, there are only like 3 left within 300 miles of Boston (Black/Ebony, Gold Mist/Cashmere, Diamond White/Ebony), so pretty soon the decision may be made for me - the 6.2 LTZ's soon will all be gone! Can't really go wrong with any of them. SLT2, LTZ 6.2/5.3, Denali, (Escalade-too much $$ for me). When it all comes down to it whoever gives me the best deal probably wins, they all have their pluss' and minus' and I'll just "have to" deal with it - poor boy;-). Still, I very much appreciate everyones input to help me make an informed decision.

Resale better?? My 06 Denali which is my 1st used vehicle and domestic product $25K in June, sales sticker still in truck $55K with $1K discount. What resale value are we talking about :hmm:. I think I will break my trend and continue to buy used from now on.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resale better?? My 06 Denali which is my 1st used vehicle and domestic product $25K in June, sales sticker still in truck $55K with $1K discount. What resale value are we talking about :hmm:. I think I will break my trend and continue to buy used from now on.

on average a 3 year old vehicle will lose half of it's value.. How much did you actually pay? high 40's when new? You did fine. and that's actually low for todays market, just search my friend, these full size GM are raking in the dough at auctions..

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score

Different years dude. The new style is much better at resale than the old style. Around here cheapest used 07 is about 30k and thats with almost 60,000 miles.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2l

on the web site the 6.2L is a $1,000 option. for 2010 I hear the 6.2 gets the active fuel managment thing...

However you can't spec a 6.2L w/the integrated brake controller (WHY?!) so I ended up with the 5.3L... and I get 17-17.6 MPG combined and its doing ok...

still faster than my 1995 350 which was only like 150 HP stock lol!

OP
OP
M

mad max

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Just curious: With such a good deal did you buy from a dealer or privately?

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Well, the white diamond is gone. Down to the black or gold mist. I like black better anyway.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Gold mist won me over on these trucks. I feel it looks alot more elegant. I love it. Easy to keep to. My vote is for gold mist.

CIMG0592.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844