2009 Tahoe engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJTahoe52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dad has an 09 Tahoe code "0" lmg engine. #6 no compression. I was looking for a direct swap, but my friend who is local has an 06 Silverado 5.3 engine. Would I be able to swap it and reprogram the computer, or is this just going to be too complicated? I ask because I was offered the engine for free. I am asking him which engine specifically it is looks like many models were produced. I know the wiring harness could be a lot different and one is afm the other is not.

Thanks

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It will but you have tune the computer to the 5.3. Any local tuner can do it or blackbear.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll require more than a tune. Cam position and knock sensors are in different locations and they have different crank sensor reluctor wheels. You'd have to remove the crankshafts of each engine and swap the reluctors. Or maybe swap the crankshafts, if they'll swap.

Possibly just failed AFM lifter(s) in cyl #6? You might can repair it relatively easily and cheaply.

OP
OP
N

NJTahoe52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can contact this person ? Is it like a flash to your ecm ?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has an 09 Tahoe code "0" lmg engine. #6 no compression. I was looking for a direct swap, but my friend who is local has an 06 Silverado 5.3 engine. Would I be able to swap it and reprogram the computer, or is this just going to be too complicated? I ask because I was offered the engine for free. I am asking him which engine specifically it is looks like many models were produced. I know the wiring harness could be a lot different and one is afm the other is not.

Thanks

Computer systems are different and do not talk to each other. It would cost less time, money and aggravation to simply repair the LMG and put in all new/updated AFM components or delete it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Computer systems are different and do not talk to each other. It would cost less time, money and aggravation to simply repair the LMG and put in all new/updated AFM components or delete it.
What he said^^^^^^

OP
OP
N

NJTahoe52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It'll require more than a tune. Cam position and knock sensors are in different locations and they have different crank sensor reluctor wheels. You'd have to remove the crankshafts of each engine and swap the reluctors. Or maybe swap the crankshafts, if they'll swap.

Possibly just failed AFM lifter(s) in cyl #6? You might can repair it relatively easily and cheaply.

OP
OP
N

NJTahoe52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had no compression checked the rockers did not appear to be any play . Rotated them around slowly with covers off no play more than any others. Did compression test 0. Added some pb blaster I have 30. I'm guessing rings. I can get this engine for free I was just wondering if it's worth the trouble used ones are like $1800. The truck has like 250k on it but good shape but maybe not worth saving just part it out. Unless I get lucky and can get a whole 09 wreck or bad trans donor for 2k. Unless like you said I can swap the cranks or whatever use it as a short block somehow idk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no compression checked the rockers did not appear to be any play . Rotated them around slowly with covers off no play more than any others. Did compression test 0. Added some pb blaster I have 30. I'm guessing rings. I can get this engine for free I was just wondering if it's worth the trouble used ones are like $1800. The truck has like 250k on it but good shape but maybe not worth saving just part it out. Unless I get lucky and can get a whole 09 wreck or bad trans donor for 2k. Unless like you said I can swap the cranks or whatever use it as a short block somehow idk

Ugh. Yeah, that sounds like more than just failed lifter(s). The LMG will have to be disassembled and rebuilt, so you'd have no loss pulling the crank. Since the '06 (L59 or LM7?) will be out, you could take it apart and swap the crank. If swapping the crank, I'd recommend replacing the main rod and journal bearings and checking the clearances. Personally, I'd swap the reluctor wheel and keep the '06 crank in the '06 block. It's kinda sketch to do so, but you could reassemble it EXACTLY as it came apart (use new hardware), and you'd possibly, maybe even probably be good to go. I've disassembled and reassembled the bottom ends with original, non-refurb'ed parts on two engines (was requested due to super tight budgets and going in recreational vehicles) and they're still kicking with no problems as of yet.

You can extend the cam sensor wires to reach the front of the engine (you'll need to swap the LMG front cover onto the '06).

You can drill bosses into the block to mount your LMG knock sensors or keep the setup native to the '06 engine. Just know that using a different knock sensor style will require special tuning. You'll need tuning anyway to turn off AFM and to optimize for the "new old" motor.

Other than that, everything should be plug-and-play if you reuse your LMG intake manifold. If you wanna open up the '06, I'd suggest you swap on the heads (799 or 243- same thing) from the LMG if they're in good shape. They are superior to the 706s that are likely on the '06.

OP
OP
N

NJTahoe52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can I use any vin 0 lmg engine? I see some on eBay but they have told me that they do not show compatibility the truck is 2009. I'm wondering if a newer one will work or not . Seems like I am limited to 2008 or 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844