2009 Tahoe AC blinks three times and will not come on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beameer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a battery go bad this spring and changed it out for a new one, after the new battery was installed the AC will not work. I tried the reset disconnecting, discharging and starting back up and there is still residual power from somewhere, even when I put the new battery in the radio still had all the presets as the power was never lost. What can I try next?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The radio has a battery on the circuit board that preserves stations when the main battery is removed.

If I may be so bold as to suggest, what you are experiencing with the A/C is a separate problem. When the air conditioning system detects low pressure, it will prevent being turned on and flash the air conditioning LED light three times.

Either you are low on refrigerant, or you have some other problem preventing the system from functioning properly. But my money is that you are low on refrigerant. If so, that means you also have a leak in the system somewhere. Take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis unless you feel comfortable tackling it yourself. If you do, lots of good people here will offer links and resources to help you do it. Including me. :)

LRD_V8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The radio has a battery on the circuit board that preserves stations when the main battery is removed.

If I may be so bold as to suggest, what you are experiencing with the A/C is a separate problem. When the air conditioning system detects low pressure, it will prevent being turned on and flash the air conditioning LED light three times.

Either you are low on refrigerant, or you have some other problem preventing the system from functioning properly. But my money is that you are low on refrigerant. If so, that means you also have a leak in the system somewhere. Take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis unless you feel comfortable tackling it yourself. If you do, lots of good people here will offer links and resources to help you do it. Including me. :)
I think this suggestion is a good one. When I had low refrigerant, I had the same problem. IIRC I had to used a tech 2 program to force it. Could try jumping the low pressure switch and then turning on at the panel.

OP
OP
B

Beameer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New problem... charging the system did rectify the blinking AC button but now all I get is hot air and the compressor keeps turning on and off, new issue?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New problem... charging the system did rectify the blinking AC button but now all I get is hot air and the compressor keeps turning on and off, new issue?
Not enough refrigerant if the compressor keeps cycling. Did you drain the system, run a vacuum pump on it for a time and then re-charge it with the proper amount? Mine takes 3 pounds or 4 of those little 12 ounce cans. How much does the sticker under your hood say yours takes?

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably gonna have to buy an A/C gauge set (I’ve got a harbor freight set) and get some numbers. Then we can give you the exact advice you seek. But in the meantime, are the A/C lines that run into the firewall, feel cold? All properly functioning AC compressors cycle on and off several times a minute. So it sounds like you’re heading in the right direction!

John H Daniel

Reaction score
Just went thru all this. If you have a rear/passenger HVAC unit, the lines corrode thru. I was able to charge it enough with the UV refrigerant and find that both pressure and return lines had holes. Bought the line blockers, works fine.

OP
OP
B

Beameer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone I have been traveling for work a lot over the past few months I did try to add refrigerant and now the compressor was not kicking in, I didn't have very much time to spend on it with so many other things that need taking care of but will get a gauge set and go from there, hopefully by this coming up week will have decent weather and not be all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64