2009 GMC Yukon need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zao Nazario

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 GMC Yukon doing abrupt/erratic shift especially coming from a full stop. This happens after few minutes of stop and go driving. It will do this "jump" or abrupt shifting after few yards coming from a full stop. I checked transmission fluid and added a little bit since it still in the proper level.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. I’m not much help on this but others will jump in. Here are some questions others will ask. How many miles on your rig? Original trans? Any recent work done? Do you hear a clunk when it does this? If so, where?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 GMC Yukon doing abrupt/erratic shift especially coming from a full stop. This happens after few minutes of stop and go driving. It will do this "jump" or abrupt shifting after few yards coming from a full stop. I checked transmission fluid and added a little bit since it still in the proper level.

It may be time to rebuild your solenoids. This can be done on your kitchen table for about $110 plus fluids but would be moot if you have a lot of miles on the truck, might as well just overhaul it or get a GM reman with a 100k warranty.

OP
OP
Z

Zao Nazario

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It may be time to rebuild your solenoids. This can be done on your kitchen table for about $110 plus fluids but would be moot if you have a lot of miles on the truck, might as well just overhaul it or get a GM reman with a 100k warranty.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The problem you’ll have is at that age and mileage, almost every shop is going to want to just replace it with a reman transmission. Even if it’s something minor, there’s a lot of potential for a subsequent failure for which they don’t want the liability or hassle.

If you don’t have a trusted private shop then you could start at a GM dealer and ask them first to just diagnose it. It’s possible they’ll scan it and give you a diagnosis other than total replacement if you’re explicit on asking what the failure is and what your options are. Paying them to drop the pan and look inside is a worthwhile expenditure, as a look at the debris in the sump is helpful.

If you do not have the maintenance history it diminishes the opportunity to get meaningful information from examination of the pan, because if it’s the original fluid that’s a lifetime accumulation, vs if it was serviced 20k miles ago.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
Z

Zao Nazario

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. I’m not much help on this but others will jump in. Here are some questions others will ask. How many miles on your rig? Original trans? Any recent work done? Do you hear a clunk when it does this? If so, where?
My 2009 Yukon has 178K miles. It still has the original transmission. No major work done, only breaks, oil change and minor repairs. No clunk at all. The abrupt jumping/shifting comes and go, sometimes none at all in a week. If I do a lot of stop and go driving, then it will appear.
Last week the check engine light came in and read P0700 on the OBD reader. After I turned off the engine, the light is gone. Never came in anymore.