2008 Yukon denali back up camera issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 08 Yukon denali with 179k on it last week my back up camera randomly stopped working when I go into reverse the screen just goes black the sonar still works and will beep if I get to close to something but I can’t get anything out of the camera any hep on how to fix it would be appreciated thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reckon it gave up the ghost after fourteen years. The whole applique has to be replaced with the camera, about $500 on ebay, maybe less elsewhere, haven't looked in a while. An aftermarket camera won't fit exactly in the old applique as the plastic tabs on the camera were heated up and squished to secure it. Should still work, just have to get used to new altered view if going this route.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reckon it gave up the ghost after fourteen years. The whole applique has to be replaced with the camera, about $500 on ebay, maybe less elsewhere, haven't looked in a while. An aftermarket camera won't fit exactly in the old applique as the plastic tabs on the camera were heated up and squished to secure it. Should still work, just have to get used to new altered view if going this route.

Does the factory camera use RCA connectors? I have this one installed in my applique.

OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’d have to pull it apart again but if I remember correctly it’s just 2wires from camera to wherever they go I’m assuming to the display ill Pull it apart here in a little bit just about finished up with replacing front right cv axel and sway bar links and break pads

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I bought a used backup camera off EBAY for my Suburban to get the connector (so I could replace with a higher resolution BUCAM100J for my aftermarket head unit) and they just inserted a screwdriver under the flange and popped it out breaking the little melted tabs from the applique. So rather than take apart the whole rear hatch I did the same to mine. I just forced a thin screwdriver in the area of each tab and broke it out. Then I was able to insert a pic tool up in the connector and disconnect the wiring. When I put in my modified replacement I just put a small dallop of silicon on each tab and masking taped it on until the silicon cured. Here is a pic of mine from a 2011 (YOURS IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT). But you can see the broken tabs and get the idea. If you go this route you can plug in your replacement and confirm it was the camera or something else that quit working.

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a used backup camera off EBAY for my Suburban to get the connector (so I could replace with a higher resolution BUCAM100J for my aftermarket head unit) and they just inserted a screwdriver under the flange and popped it out breaking the little melted tabs from the applique. So rather than take apart the whole rear hatch I did the same to mine. I just forced a thin screwdriver in the area of each tab and broke it out. Then I was able to insert a pic tool up in the connector and disconnect the wiring. When I put in my modified replacement I just put a small dallop of silicon on each tab and masking taped it on until the silicon cured. Here is a pic of mine from a 2011 (YOURS IS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT). But you can see the broken tabs and get the idea. If you go this route you can plug in your replacement and confirm it was the camera or something else that quit working.
I’m confused what connector did you need? Did your suburban not have a factory camera and that’s why you bought the one with the connector ? could you not use to connector from the camera that was already installed? it sounds a lot cheaper then buying the actual replacement camera lol

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my case I installed a large screen aftermarket head unit (Jensen CAR-910W). The color of the OEM camera was tuned to the OEM head unit (slightly blue on my aftermarket head unit). But more importantly the larger aftermarket screen highlighted the lower resolution of the OEM camera, since the pixels were bigger on the aftermarket screen. So I bought the matching aftermarket BUCAM100J camera with higher resolution. The square BUCAM100J fit in the same space in the OEM bracket as the square OEM camera. I cut the connector off the OEM camera and wired that to my aftermarket camera. That way I didn't have to disassemble the rear hatch and run new wires to the aftermarket head unit. That made it plug and play all the way from the camera to the head unit. The reason I bought a used camera to modify was because I wasn't sure it was going to work and didn't want to cut up my original camera. At the time I also wasn't sure how I was going to get the original out of there. The used camera on Ebay was cheap. Even new cameras for yours are only about $80.

OP
OP
jschoops91

jschoops91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that makes way more sense now lol but I guess I should just put out the money for a new camera last I checked I couldn’t find one for under 160 but that was a while ago when it first went out it’s the wife’s daily driver so I haven’t put much energy into fixing it lol but I’ve been doing maintenance and taking care of other stuff on the vehicle so I figured I’d see what everyone else did when And if they had this issue maybe she’ll quit telling me how bad it sucks to parallel park without the camera

ms00012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my case I installed a large screen aftermarket head unit (Jensen CAR-910W). The color of the OEM camera was tuned to the OEM head unit (slightly blue on my aftermarket head unit). But more importantly the larger aftermarket screen highlighted the lower resolution of the OEM camera, since the pixels were bigger on the aftermarket screen. So I bought the matching aftermarket BUCAM100J camera with higher resolution. The square BUCAM100J fit in the same space in the OEM bracket as the square OEM camera. I cut the connector off the OEM camera and wired that to my aftermarket camera. That way I didn't have to disassemble the rear hatch and run new wires to the aftermarket head unit. That made it plug and play all the way from the camera to the head unit. The reason I bought a used camera to modify was because I wasn't sure it was going to work and didn't want to cut up my original camera. At the time I also wasn't sure how I was going to get the original out of there. The used camera on Ebay was cheap. Even new cameras for yours are only about $80.
Did you have the mirror or head unit display for your original backup camera? I have the mirror one. I'm thinking about getting one of those Dynavin N7 Pro head units. I should be able to see the backup camera on both the mirror and lcd screen. I know the oem backup camera is crap quality. You are the only person I have heard that has upgraded the camera in the original housing. How much better is the quality? Would this one work? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-MDYxhIGtMZD/p_110BCAM200/Jensen-BUCAM200J.html