2008 Tahoe Z71 Steering "drift"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe Z71, stock vehicle @240k miles that has recently started having some uncommanded movement in steering. Beginning last week, I have had about 3 occasions (despite driving daily) where the vehicle suddenly appears to drift to the right w/o any steering input from the driver. It corrects w/ the wheel and then no longer feels as if there is anything wrong after that point (steering feels tight/appropriate). In addition to this, today I noticed that while driving straight, suddenly my steering wheel was now in a 10 degree rotation clockwise. Moments later, "straight" was back to normal steering position (steering wheel at neutral). Can anyone help guide me on what I should be looking at for this? The vehicle was in the shop 2 days ago w/ this issue reported. They said steering linkages looked fine.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
1. Also getting intermittent "Stabilitrak Off/Service Traction Control"
2. I have a little motion and clunking when in reverse with my wheels turned that has been going on since I bought the vehicle a year ago.
3. I have replaced all front suspension component on both sides in the last 12 months (upper/lower control arms + ball joints, tie rods, wheel hubs, cv axles, sway bar bushings and linkages), so I do suspect the issue is somewhere inboard of these parts.

Appreciate any help.... Thanks!
Have you checked the steering rack? Did you used oem steering components? Aftermarket don't last long

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just read your other post about a clunk in the rear end. I spent the better part of a year searching for the source of my intermittent wander, and rebuilt the entire front end in the process (08 Yukon). Didn't cure it.

In the end, I decided to pause, and focus on my rear end clunk. I was coming up blank on that front, too. Had pry bars on every part of the rear suspension, loaded and unloaded. Nothing. U-joints tight as a drum. Spare tire tight. Just nothing. Rockauto had a sale on suspension components, and out of desperation, I ordered lower trailing arms and panhard bushings. Guess what? Clunk was almost hugely improved, and the steering wander was alot better. I then did the upper trailing arms, and the clunk was gone.

I can't remember who posted it, but there's a post on here somewhere about making a bracket that bolts to the crossmember, and u-bolting your steering rack to it. Eliminates any play in the steering rack bushhings. That completely eliminated my wander. I think each bushing had just a bit of play, and add them all up, and the front and rear just pointed a couple of degrees in whatever direction was easy. Add it all up, and it was a nuisance to drive.

Hope it helps

bsmith901

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just read your other post about a clunk in the rear end. I spent the better part of a year searching for the source of my intermittent wander, and rebuilt the entire front end in the process (08 Yukon). Didn't cure it.

In the end, I decided to pause, and focus on my rear end clunk. I was coming up blank on that front, too. Had pry bars on every part of the rear suspension, loaded and unloaded. Nothing. U-joints tight as a drum. Spare tire tight. Just nothing. Rockauto had a sale on suspension components, and out of desperation, I ordered lower trailing arms and panhard bushings. Guess what? Clunk was almost hugely improved, and the steering wander was alot better. I then did the upper trailing arms, and the clunk was gone.

I can't remember who posted it, but there's a post on here somewhere about making a bracket that bolts to the crossmember, and u-bolting your steering rack to it. Eliminates any play in the steering rack bushhings. That completely eliminated my wander. I think each bushing had just a bit of play, and add them all up, and the front and rear just pointed a couple of degrees in whatever direction was easy. Add it all up, and it was a nuisance to drive.

Hope it helps
Thanks for your post reply! I’ve been chasing a similar clunking noise and wandering the interstate drives with my 2007 Yukon XL w/171K miles. Replaced all shocks, isolators, stabilizer bushings. Also front control arms. I’ve suspected the rear trailing arms and track bar and will check that next. With the miles they likely need a refresh anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts