2008 Tahoe Z71 knocking in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnMartyH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2008 Tahoe Z71 @240k miles, new "knocking" noise from rear. Vehicle has relatively new Bilstein shocks within last 3 yrs, front and rear. Knocking occurs regardless of whether brakes are applied or not, and regardless of under power or coasting. The noise occurs secondary to motion of the vehicle as if something is rattling or loose, and I can localize it reasonably to near the rear of the vehicle without clear lateralization to right or left... though perhaps a bit more left than center? The noise occurs with the SLIGHTEST motion of the car, including 5-8mph coasting through parking lots. Does not need substantial bumps (speed bumps or potholes) to reproduce; it occurs with basic uneven surfaces on standard paved streets. My initial thought was a loose caliper or strut mount but have ruled these out. Ordered new sway bar bushings but due to how easily this sound is created and the appearance of current bushings, I don't actually think that's the issue.

Anyone else with this issue? thoughts on what this might be? I do not believe it is drivetrain related.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Did you try opening the rear gate to see what they want?

:jester:

My wife says I'm not funny, I disagree.
:yaoface2:

No clue on your issue,

Ideas,
looked at the sway bar bushings?
looked at exhaust hangers?
tried cracking the diff cover open?
seats latched down?
anything loose like fuel tank hangers?

01hoez71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi new guy here with 01 Tahoe Z71. I had similar noise and found it was a loose brake shoe. Will have to remove tires and rotors to check . Good luck pal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844