2008 Tahoe Hybrid..Auto repair shop damage Vac line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my engine is idling rough feels like a misfire (you can see the motor physically shake) but no check engine

i can hear a whistling noise.

i don't know which one but they did mess with the PCV(this was unauthorized work they did )

why would I pay 80$ to have someone clean a 5$ part when i could have had a new one installed for 5$.. and a new hose put in because those 10 year old hoses break.. as they get brittle

then did some other BS work for another 80$ like crank position relearn Really never had an issue with that.. other wise I would have CEL
they refuse to refund me the 160 I was overcharged.

there is a good chance i will take them to small claims court for about 400$ and $9600 for getting me sick (10k is the max in this state) he was like a couple inches from my face yelling at me like a rain shower (non compliance with covid business rules)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I get that you are pissed but start over and tell us why the rig was in the shop? Are you saying that all work they did was unauthorized and they never asked your permission for work they did? Did they tell you of a minimum fee to check the vehicle out? You said "mess" with the PCV. Are you saying they cleaned the PCV? Are you saying the rough idle and whistle noise was after their work?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get that you are pissed but start over and tell us why the rig was in the shop? Are you saying that all work they did was unauthorized and they never asked your permission for work they did? Did they tell you of a minimum fee to check the vehicle out? You said "mess" with the PCV. Are you saying they cleaned the PCV? Are you saying the rough idle and whistle noise was after their work?

Ron, I can't believe you opened this can of worms. LOL

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's what I do! I am good at it!

Plus, I was a service manager for almost 30 years and I ran shops a certain way. I would like to know what was said in the beginning and what was authorized. It is hard for me to believe that a shop manager would do that work with being told to. I want to hear both sides of the story. Emotions get in the way all the time.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes after the work was done..

I only told them to change the spark plug and wires, as well as the throttle body ....

the work they did was spark plugs and wires so i should have only paid 160$ for the two hours

unauthorized work: was the Relean cam shaft, relearn throttle body, cleaned PCV... he also tried to claim he had cleaned the throttle body but i all ready made it shiny clean.. 3 weeks ago.

also relearning the TB was not necessary as the suv accepted the new one without issue.

they tried charging me $480 Triple the amount..

they started adding more stuff down after my dad said he would pay upto 1000$ (loan to me) to fix it.. so yeah it was a scam

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question will pulling the

Fan relay controller(possibly hybrid relay battery cooler?)
or should i pull the two fan relays them self?

there is too much air circulation under the hood to pin point the leak..

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dawg it should not be an to hard to find a vacuum leak especially if you can hear it. Don't blame me if you blow yourself up but a can of starting fluid and measured tiny blasts at suspected spots around the engine bay listening for engine rpm increases usually will pinpoint a vacuum leak. Once you have it narrowed down just repair the leak BAM done.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Spray water will do the same thing. All it is for is to block the leak for a short period of time.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dawg it should not be an to hard to find a vacuum leak especially if you can hear it. Don't blame me if you blow yourself up but a can of starting fluid and measured tiny blasts at suspected spots around the engine bay listening for engine rpm increases usually will pinpoint a vacuum leak. Once you have it narrowed down just repair the leak BAM done.
I re checked the plugs and cylinder #3 was not in all the way... #****** mechanic .. Yesterday i was going to check all of them but I quit after cyc#1 shocked me a few times with 20,000 volts..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9