2008 SSV..Help empty my wallet!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How’d you bend the frame on that Colorado? Oh, and welcome from Oregon!

I wish I knew for sure, it was the strangest thing. After running the Dalton highway in AK, I noticed some creases in the rear fenders when I was washing it. The bed was always full of recovery and camping gear and extra fuel, but by no means overloaded.
Some long time later when I emptied the truck bed I noticed the floor of the truck bed had a crown to it. Higher over the rear axle or droopy at the rear by a fraction of an inch. Which explains why the fenders were creasing (and beginning to crack from stress at the wheel arch).
I took to a body and frame shop where the tech told me he’s seen similar bent frames on plenty of trucks, usually from too heavy a trailer. Which I hadn’t towed any at all. I left it to him to straighten out, I just wanted it fixed. So he calls me the next day and says on his frame jig it’s on spec, nothing for him to fix... WTH this makes no sense to me there’s no air gap between the bed and the frame if one is bent then so is the other.

So, I got rid of it. I don’t have any patience for mysterious hard to resolve vehicle problems.

Theory 1- I bent it bottoming the rear suspension repeatedly with a normal load in the bed.
Theory 2- someone rear ended it when parked, but managed to leave no mark on the bumper at all.
Theory 3- transport damage from improper tie down? That I didn’t see when I bought it new?

None of those seem likely.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew for sure, it was the strangest thing. After running the Dalton highway in AK, I noticed some creases in the rear fenders when I was washing it. The bed was always full of recovery and camping gear and extra fuel, but by no means overloaded.
Some long time later when I emptied the truck bed I noticed the floor of the truck bed had a crown to it. Higher over the rear axle or droopy at the rear by a fraction of an inch. Which explains why the fenders were creasing (and beginning to crack from stress at the wheel arch).
I took to a body and frame shop where the tech told me he’s seen similar bent frames on plenty of trucks, usually from too heavy a trailer. Which I hadn’t towed any at all. I left it to him to straighten out, I just wanted it fixed. So he calls me the next day and says on his frame jig it’s on spec, nothing for him to fix... WTH this makes no sense to me there’s no air gap between the bed and the frame if one is bent then so is the other.

So, I got rid of it. I don’t have any patience for mysterious hard to resolve vehicle problems.

Theory 1- I bent it bottoming the rear suspension repeatedly with a normal load in the bed.
Theory 2- someone rear ended it when parked, but managed to leave no mark on the bumper at all.
Theory 3- transport damage from improper tie down? That I didn’t see when I bought it new?

None of those seem likely.
That is weird. I wouldn’t think a frame on a Colorado would be prone to bending. I know the frames on ours are beefy.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the PPV/SSV addiction! Happy to know you fixed your ABS and stabiltrack light. It might come back on. Usually it’s due to a faulty Speed Sensor, which is a quick and cheap part. Buy yourself a BlueDriver scanner for $100. They are magic on GM trucks.

also, had the same wheels on my 09 PPV. They do look cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts