2008 Escalade low oil pressure after pick up tube oring fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K8Lade

Reaction score
Hey, I'm still having low oil pressure when cold in my 2008 escalade. It has 212k miles so I get that it's no spring chicken. Has ticking until warm and it does go away if I rev it up.

So far I've replaced the oil pickup O ring and the oil pressure sending unit. I've heard the camshaft bearings are bad in these and cause low pressure. Also heard the oil pressure relief valves stick.

Any other suggestions?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How low is the oil pressure, and does it change as the engine warms up?

What weight oil?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3

And I'll add that when I replaced my pickup tube o-ring when I did my cam swap, I still had low oil pressure and had to go back in there. When I did, I installed a new Melling high volume pump and replaced the o-ring with the green one that came with the pump, as recommended by Melling for my application, and left the spring that came installed in the pump in place. I also took the time to thoroughly clean the oil pan and pickup tube with parts cleaner before I put everything back together. Which one of these steps solved my problem I don't know, but when I fired it up again, my oil pressure was back up to the high end of spec. All of this after I was initially worried about the cam bearings being the problem.

One mistake that people commonly make when they install a new o-ring is that they don't slather it with oil before they install the pickup tube back into the pump, and they end up pinching/nicking the new o-ring in the process. So if/when you take it apart again, take extra care with how you install that o-ring once you clean the pickup tube. And triple-check to make sure the o-ring you're using is the correct one for your engine. On truck, it's the thicker of the two that GM sells for LS engines.

OP
OP

2K8Lade

Reaction score
Did you clean out the screen below the oil pressure sensor?
As far as I know mine doesn't have one and it ticks really bad. The ticking goes away with either rpm or when warm so I'm confident it's an actual pressure issue.

OP
OP

2K8Lade

Reaction score
x3

And I'll add that when I replaced my pickup tube o-ring when I did my cam swap, I still had low oil pressure and had to go back in there. When I did, I installed a new Melling high volume pump and replaced the o-ring with the green one that came with the pump, as recommended by Melling for my application, and left the spring that came installed in the pump in place. I also took the time to thoroughly clean the oil pan and pickup tube with parts cleaner before I put everything back together. Which one of these steps solved my problem I don't know, but when I fired it up again, my oil pressure was back up to the high end of spec. All of this after I was initially worried about the cam bearings being the problem.

One mistake that people commonly make when they install a new o-ring is that they don't slather it with oil before they install the pickup tube back into the pump, and they end up pinching/nicking the new o-ring in the process. So if/when you take it apart again, take extra care with how you install that o-ring once you clean the pickup tube. And triple-check to make sure the o-ring you're using is the correct one for your engine. On truck, it's the thicker of the two that GM sells for LS engines.
I'm concerned that I buggered it up on the install, I used a large red o ring but I can't recall the part number.

Does the 2008 6.2 have an oil pressure relief valve?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 Denali 6.2 has 3.
1) All oil pumps
2) all oil filters
3) One for the afm system on the inside of the oil pan. But? Afm doesn't exist on the 07 and 08 6.2s except for a few early serial #s you say? Mine not early sn# but it was there and I put the TSB deflector on it. My VLOM is smooth so no afm.relief valve w-shield.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345