2008 Denali XL - 185K miles....when will the "big bill" come callin'?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L92 is 6.2l motor w/out AFM. L94 is 6.2l motor w/AFM. L94 started in model year 2010.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how long the L9H was used, but yes the L9H is similar to the L92 (no AFM) however the L9H was flex fuel capable, whereas the L92 wasn't.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Wow, Super contribution in regard to your maint log! I just cant imagine letting her go at this point but i have been guilty of the same decisions. I think if you were going to let that beauty go i would price it at KBB excellent condition, Provide the maint documentation and wait for the right buyer. I wouldent advise replacing it with another identical platform because you will allways be comparing to the one you sold? The new one's crap also and have more "tech glitches". Im rambling, F' it. Do as we all do and buy another beautiful new car and love life!

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you’ve dropped the transmission pan several times already, how difficult was the process? I haven’t attempted it yet but I’ve read that it’s a pain in the ass due to the exhaust pipe running below it.

I’m at about 78,000 miles now and was planning on dropping the pan and changing the filter at 90k. Do you think it makes more sense just to do the full 12 quart flush?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks:

As subject line says, my 2008 Denali XL has 185K miles. I've done the majority of the work on it over the past 8 years. I bought it with 52K miles in 2011. Been a good ride for us, but not the lease expensive to drive. I've put $6,269 in "Maintenance" and $7,079 in Repairs. I'm providing a link to my google sheet that has my entire maintenance record I've kept--only if any of you are interested in what I've done and HAD to do since 2011. I say that because some of the repair didn't HAVE to happen (like repair of fender and paint the nose).

My question is, and I know there isn't just ONE answer.....when do you folks think I will have to repair/replace the transmission and/or motor?

I'm really thinking I should consider selling it before a big cost of 5 to 7K comes in with a replacement of either.

Currently I have no slippage in the transmission and the motor isn't overly noisy. It doesn't really leak oil as I fixed that last time I had the oil pan off. However, it does burn about 1.5 quarts between changes, which I can't imagine isn't bad considering it's as old as she is.

Thoughts?

LINK -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLAM4oCTOxOvUapawaWsc0BVxPgqUZ0magi0H44BIuA/edit?usp=sharing

Based on your logs, I had my transmission fluid analyzed and it looks like 36K to 50K service intervals are spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore