2007 Yukon Denali XL Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where would I find the transmission ground strap?
it's connected to the transmission not sure where but it's a bare aluminium wire (copper tin for iron blocks???)to the frame..

each main part has one i.e the engine transmission etc..... that is because of seals will cause poor contact to ground

should look something like these typically...

20191223_212031.jpg 20191223_212158.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2007 Denali XL
Reaction score
it's connected to the transmission not sure where but it's a bare aluminium wire (copper tin for iron blocks???)to the frame..

each main part has one i.e the engine transmission etc..... that is because of seals will cause poor contact to ground

should look something like these typically...

View attachment 237885 View attachment 237886
thanks, will take a look

Mooseman93

Reaction score
thanks for replying.

The Tech thinks that a mouse has been at the wiring loom and is giving false positives but I think that is nonsense.

Fluid is pinkish and levels are correct
Just going to throw this out there, a mouse got into the wiring loom that feeds the engine bay fuse box on my 2001 Yukon XL 5.3. Started throwing all sorts of transmission codes, missing gears, and could be intermittent. I went around and around trying to diagnose it and replacing stuff until I accidentally found the wiring thing mentioned way way way down in an unrelated thread on this forum. It was an easy fix, you just unbolt the top of the fuse box and lift it off to expose the wires below it. There I found a mouse nest and about 8 chewed wires. Soldered them back together and she was good as new. Not saying that's your issue but worth peeking at, maybe. That also fixed my broken outside temperature display as a bonus.

fastscirocco

Reaction score

Doubeleive,

do you think a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 would work for this application too?
Is there something that would make the Dell a better choice?

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubeleive,

do you think a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 would work for this application too?
Is there something that would make the Dell a better choice?

Thanks
as long as it is running windows and has a available standard usb port you should be fine

OP
OP
2007 Denali XL
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there, a mouse got into the wiring loom that feeds the engine bay fuse box on my 2001 Yukon XL 5.3. Started throwing all sorts of transmission codes, missing gears, and could be intermittent. I went around and around trying to diagnose it and replacing stuff until I accidentally found the wiring thing mentioned way way way down in an unrelated thread on this forum. It was an easy fix, you just unbolt the top of the fuse box and lift it off to expose the wires below it. There I found a mouse nest and about 8 chewed wires. Soldered them back together and she was good as new. Not saying that's your issue but worth peeking at, maybe. That also fixed my broken outside temperature display as a bonus.

I took the fuse box out and didnt find any evidence of a mouse or chewed wires.

Untitled Album - 1 of 1.jpeg

OP
OP
2007 Denali XL
Reaction score
After removing the fuse box all the codes were wiped and the check engine light was off. I restarted the car a made this video of the noise coming from the transmission which hopefully you can hear that is making a strange noise.

https://youtu.be/n_mzEiy9qhI

No gears are engaging.

No engine check light came back on but I did get the code - trans solenoid A stuck so I am pretty convinced that there is something busted in the trans case somewhere.

So I think it's time to get an expert to look at it. Can anyone suggest a decent transmission shop in the San Jose CA area please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14