2007 Yukon Denali Build (This got outta hand really quick...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates?
How's it been runnin?

It's been running pretty damn good... Much better since my track day in October now that I have the transmission issues worked out. I'm in Michigan so it's been boost weather for sure, cold and dense air. I've been tweaking my tune and had some issues with my Nick Williams 102mm throttle body putting me in limp mode randomly under light load and let off of the throttle (TB motor getting weak, that's what I get for being cheap and buying a used TB). I ended up pulling the 102mm off and putting on a LS3 throttle body the other day. I'm probably down some horsepower (25hp) at the wheels overall but the response is much better with the smaller TB. I might end up keeping the LS3 TB and just porting it. Those larger 102mm and bigger throttles act like an on/off switch for the engine lol. Much smoother with the 90mm LS3 on there now. Once I get it how I want I plan to get it on an AWD chassis dyno. A friend has one locally but these trucks only barely fit with about 1 inch of space front and rear on the roller. It can be dangerous if not strapped properly but I really wanna see what this thing is putting to the ground. I'm certain it will hit 700whp though... I will post some updates soon and if we get some damn snow, I'll certainly post up some donut videos.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It's been running pretty damn good... Much better since my track day in October now that I have the transmission issues worked out. I'm in Michigan so it's been boost weather for sure, cold and dense air. I've been tweaking my tune and had some issues with my Nick Williams 102mm throttle body putting me in limp mode randomly under light load and let off of the throttle (TB motor getting weak, that's what I get for being cheap and buying a used TB). I ended up pulling the 102mm off and putting on a LS3 throttle body the other day. I'm probably down some horsepower (25hp) at the wheels overall but the response is much better with the smaller TB. I might end up keeping the LS3 TB and just porting it. Those larger 102mm and bigger throttles act like an on/off switch for the engine lol. Much smoother with the 90mm LS3 on there now. Once I get it how I want I plan to get it on an AWD chassis dyno. A friend has one locally but these trucks only barely fit with about 1 inch of space front and rear on the roller. It can be dangerous if not strapped properly but I really wanna see what this thing is putting to the ground. I'm certain it will hit 700whp though... I will post some updates soon and if we get some damn snow, I'll certainly post up some donut videos.
In it for the donuts:D:burnout:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's awesome, glad to hear how well its running.
Could you refresh my memory, What was up with the trans?
How's the tuning part coming along? I'm really interested but, definitely intimidated with any tuning. My local (who's really not local after we moved, haha) guy is about 3 hours away and there is one guy in the town we moved into but I really want to learn on my own and not have to rely on anyone.
Is it something in particular with the NW TBs that this happens? I think I've seen that before.
I'm definitely in for how much power its making.
What's your motor set up? Forged internals?
AWD donuts would be sweet haha. Lookin forward to the vids of them.

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the tuning part coming along? I'm really interested but, definitely intimidated with any tuning. My local (who's really not local after we moved, haha) guy is about 3 hours away and there is one guy in the town we moved into but I really want to learn on my own and not have to rely on anyone.
Is it something in particular with the NW TBs that this happens? I think I've seen that before.

The transmission was rebuilt again after I roasted it before Dream Cruise... I decided to completely redo my tune since I was forced to start from scratch. Any time you replace the ECU or TECM in the transmission you need to relicense with HP Tuners and have to copy/paste your entire tune. Basically it forced me to start all over and I made some changes to the transmission tune and screwed up. Tuning kills these 6L80 (any clutch to clutch trans) transmissions more than anything. Basically I had a bad torque model and these transmissions are VERY sensitive to tuning. It just wasn't shifting right... I was able to scale my torque model accordingly and got the transmission shifting great. I lost .4 seconds on my 2-3 shift at the track and a good .4 seconds from my ****** 60' times.

I wouldn't be too intimidated if you gave a good understanding on how the engine works. It does help to have a friend that's a retired GM Engineer/Calibrator to explain to you how the ECU/controller works to better understand what changes you make and how they affect other tables or areas of the tune. I am lucky for that but he is making me learn on my own at the same time. Trial and error... I didn't burn up the transmission too bad at the track but I probably did shorten the life of the clutch packs slightly. I was running the transmission too cold also and have a thermal bypass I need to install. Running 18-20 back to back passes probably didn't help either lol... I flushed the transmission and put some fresh fluid in. That along with fixing my torque model got me back on track and the truck is faster than ever.

The NW 102mm limp mode issue was a separate issue altogether. I purchased a used TB and it probably had a weak motor to begin with. The throttle blade tends to flutter at WOT and have a hard time stabilizing when you left off the throttle when the motor is worn or weak. Any time I would get in the gas 30-40% and let off suddenly, the throttle blade would slam shut and the engine would go in to limp mode. Easy fix was to toss on a stock LS3 TB for now and I will port it later. Might send the NW 102mm in for repair or buy a new one if I feel I'm really missing that much power. I don't notice it right now since it's so cold out and I'm on snow tires... Time will tell and the track will be the deciding factor in the spring. My goal is a 11.40 qtr or quicker, I think the truck is capable of a 10.9 or so if I get the suspension figured out and my 60' times where they should be.

OP
OP
67RS427

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, almost forgot. I think I posted the build but can't remember lol... It's a 6.0L LQ9 iron block .005" over and a Lunati 4" stroke (402"), Lunati Rods and Weisco forged pistons. Billet double roller timing chain, ATI 10% over damper and Weapon X 2.5" upper. Makes 14psi all day, 15-15.5psi peak. Self ported blower and Stage 3 Brian Tooley Racing Positive Displacement CAM Motion CAM. I used my L92 heads from original motor and rebuilt them with a BTR Spring kit with titanium retainers and upgraded to lighter Manley valves. So much more I'm probably forgetting. Any questions feel free to ask away... I got lazy updating here and have done a lot over and over lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT