2007 Tahoe Z71 w/ 200k+ Road Trip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthCal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I bought my truck 2yrs ago and had my mechanic service and go through it. Luckily for me it checked out ok. Fyi...Waterpump/Power steering pump have not been changed since I have owned it. Also, front wheel bearings have not been changed either. Fortunately, there are no signs of wear, but understand it can happen at any given time. Anyhow, I'd like to know how many owners are taking their trucks on road trips with mileage over 200k+ ? I'm considering taking my truck on a 12 hour road trip (roundtrip), but I usually end up getting a rental.

Last edited:

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the road trip, On a cost basis as a single or double occupant trip with no major need to haul something, I'd rent an econobox up to a midsize just because you'll save that alone in Gas costs. If it's a family ski trip with tons of luggage, then probably stick with my own vehicle.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I do a 17hr roadtrip once a year on my YD with 170k and the only think thats has gone out was the fuel pump and that was 2 years ago. I do all maintenance and up keep, it still has the original tranny with no issues what so ever.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made many long distance trips with higher mileage, traveled pretty much half the states in this great country, only had 1 problem 1 time, fuel pump. if your really concerned just sign up for AAA roadside assistance they don't cover the actual repair but they cover pretty much everything else if you happen to get stuck out of town.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
A few years ago I took my 03, which at the time maybe had 270,000 on it, to S. Carolina, from NJ. Averaged around 90 mph. Made it there in 15 hrs. Only issue I had--stopping for gas once on the way home the fuel pump was humming really loud. Made it home no problems tho, fuel pump went out a few months later. These trucks are made for long highway cruises. Getting AAA is great advice.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is only at 115k but I go just about everywhere with it. Lots of day trips down into LA from the mountains where I live, like yesterday. But I’ve been to Vegas and back a couple of times with it which is not super long but driving nonetheless. Mammoth ski area is about a 6ish hour drive for me, and it’s a drive up through the desert into the eastern Sierra’s. And my truck does it no problem. Just make sure your up on your maintenance before you go. Check all your fluids, and I always have a quart of oil, and extra trans fluid, in an ammo can in the back with my tool box just Incase.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my burb on its first multi-state trip this past weekend. Only about 600 miles or so in total. I try to work on my new-to-me vehicles, get them up to spec, and then slowly trust them on trips. I've taken a few camping trips an hour or two away, but nothing really far. She performed just fine. I need to figure out what this rattle/bang noise is on bumps, but otherwise it was fine. If you've had your vehicle this long and know its history and take care of it - I'm sure its fine.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t hesitate if you’re familiar with the vehicle. I always carry the basics (air inflator, jump start box, tiny basic tool kit). I bought my Tahoe 1000 miles from home and drove it home that night 15 hours. Then 4 weeks later did the same trip (round trip this time).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu