2007 Tahoe stereo and crank relay turning on after keys are out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindsay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 216k miles. It has been programmed to delete the AFM with a kit installed a few years ago. This week, it has been doing something strange. When I shut down the engine, and removed the keys and get out the vehicle it will cut on the stereo, and you can hear the “Run/Crank” relay under the hood clicking and the starter engage. Or I hear a clicking noise on the passenger side underneath the vehicle that I assume is the starter. At night once I exit the vehicle with my keys it auto turns on the lights and radio. Last night it killed the battery. It didn’t take much to jump it this morning but it is continuing to do the same thing. If double press the lock button on my fob the stereo will still cut on and the alarm with eventually sound.

Side note, I noticed a few weeks ago if I open any other door than that drivers side door the stereo will cut on.

There has been no changes made in the past years. Anyone have any input??

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faulty BCM? Ignition switch or one of it's circuits? Maybe something is backfeeding an unrelated circuit?

I'd start by trying to isolate it to a certain component, like when you remove the key and the relay clicks and radio comes on, try partially reinserting the key and jiggling it. If nothing changes, maybe unplug the harness under the dash that goes to the ignition switch. I don't know exactly where the connector is, but it should be close to the column and probably mounted on it. There will likely be a few of them (steering wheel controls, airbag circuit, etc.) but you can unplug all except the one for the airbag- pretty sure it'll be a yellow one with orange or red lock tabs holding the connector together. See if the relay clicks and radio turns off when you unplug anything.

OP
OP
Lindsay

Lindsay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I removed the start/crank relay. It still cut the stereo on but obviously didn’t have the click under the engine. I tried partially wiggling the key and the stereo kinda flickered. But it also does that when the relay for the crank clicks. Trying to locate ignition harness now. It I unplug that and the problem stops it would probably be my ignition correct?

OP
OP
Lindsay

Lindsay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I unplugged the ignition switch and the problem still existed. If I replace the bcm will that affect my programming for the afm delete?

The Tahoe also has a bit of a shutter when downshifting from 2 to first. I was told it was due to the cam not being changed when the afm kit was installed. Has something to do with the cam lobe clearance. But it seems to kinda idle hard now. I had a P0455 code I was fighting and had replaced my purge sensor and solenoid in the rear of the Tahoe. And it has still been throwing the service engine light. Also, there is an audible little beep when the radio cuts on. Only beeps once and it’s very low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC