2007 Tahoe Starter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my 07 this morning, turned the key and just clicked once, tried several times and again just clicked once. It was fine last night when we came home and parked it in the garage.

I got out the charger and threw it on and took the other car, came back several hours later pulled the charger off, same thing. So I pulled the cables and cleaned them (there was no corrosion or anything of substance) put them back on. Jumped in hit the key nothing this time not even a click, waited 3-4 mins and tried again and it started right up like nothing was wrong, no clicking or slow cranking.I tried it 3 to 4 more times cranked right up.

So I am thinking the started had a flat spot and by taking the cables off and cleaning it threw enough juice to kick the solenoid? My guess is the starter is going bad?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If is original and enough miles or even enough time and mileage if it was replaced before, it sounds like that could be it. Double check that there is not a spot when the trans is in park or looks to be in park that you can duplicate the no start. If that is ok then of course the wiring connections at the starter need inspected. Maybe loose or damaged or who the hell knows. Make sure you are getting the voltage you need thru the cable to the starter and there is not too much voltage drop from one end to the other or you will have a nice new starter and still have a problem. basics first. Plus, do a load test on your battery to make sure it holds up. How old is it anyway?

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with PNW. Before replacing the starter, be sure that you have solid electrical connections at the starter, as well as at the battery and the chassis grounds. Test to ensure that you get the voltage to the relay on the starter, when the key in is the start position.

I had this exact same problem on my 07 Yukon XL Denali, and I got stranded two times in a year, for this totally unexpected 'no start' issue. I replaced the starter (relay included) with one from Rock Auto, and so far, I have not had this issue occur again (fingers crossed).

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter motor solenoid is shot. Either replacing solenoid or replacing entire starter. The solenoid costs less than 1/4 of starter.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hasn't done it since but considering we are in the dead of winter here (Iowa) last thing I want to do is get stranded when its blistering ass cold. I planned to replace the whole unit this week. Looks like the best way to remove is to remove shaft bolts and remove through wheel well area?

Any advise on that procedure or is it better to drop from below - looks awful tight that way?
Thanks,
Tim

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't done it since but considering we are in the dead of winter here (Iowa) last thing I want to do is get stranded when its blistering ass cold. I planned to replace the whole unit this week. Looks like the best way to remove is to remove shaft bolts and remove through wheel well area?

Any advise on that procedure or is it better to drop from below - looks awful tight that way?
Thanks,
Tim
You will need to pull it out through the front fender. Access to the bolts are from below though.

Where at in Iowa are you?