2007 Tahoe/Programmed Engine Computer ECM ECU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SherylInKS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not posted here before but have been a member, to see and keep up with my vehicle. HERE IS MY DEAL with My 2007 Tahoe > I have things that work intermittingly: backup sensor, clock display, sometimes idols ruff, check engine light goes on and off. I have changed allot of things based on the check engine light. With the age of my truck and the miles (281,000+), I decided to order a Engine Computer ECM ECU Programmed (Plug & Play) to my VIN#. Now, I am a little freaked out about it being put in because whomever does it has to "re-learn" my ignition key to it. Am I being silly? Do I go to a dealership vs a guy who has a Tahoe, and does all his own work, even though he said he can do it?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try it and see what happens. You can always plug in your original ECM. I'm not sure of the new key learn process, but the old one was 10 min KOEO, 10 seconds OFF and repeat for a total of 3 times and then try to start. I think this is correct, but others please correct me if I'm wrong. Or search the forum for KEY RELEARN and see what comes up.

OP
OP
S

SherylInKS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd try it and see what happens. You can always plug in your original ECM. I'm not sure of the new key learn process, but the old one was 10 min KOEO, 10 seconds OFF and repeat for a total of 3 times and then try to start. I think this is correct, but others please correct me if I'm wrong. Or search the forum for KEY RELEARN and see what comes up.
T Y B-Train. I have the directions too, for the key learn....... I am just 60 and Leary of all this technology.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Then maybe buy your buddy some beers and enjoy one with him AFTER it's replaced . Just make sure ALL power is off before disconnect and reconnect. I usually remove both battery cables and then touch them together for a few seconds to drain the capacitors. You can also hold the horn down after disconnect and that will do the same thing.

Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully it fixes your issue

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ecm/ecu is probably not your issue, more than likely it is a funky ground or BCM ground or BCM. rough idle could also be related to a bad ground, not necessarily the BCM though.
^^^This. The most common cause of the symptoms you're experiencing on these trucks is bad grounds/internal corrosion in the battery cables. I doubt your ECU is the problem. Search for Big 3 upgrade.

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not posted here before but have been a member, to see and keep up with my vehicle. HERE IS MY DEAL with My 2007 Tahoe > I have things that work intermittingly: backup sensor, clock display, sometimes idols ruff, check engine light goes on and off. I have changed allot of things based on the check engine light. With the age of my truck and the miles (281,000+), I decided to order a Engine Computer ECM ECU Programmed (Plug & Play) to my VIN#. Now, I am a little freaked out about it being put in because whomever does it has to "re-learn" my ignition key to it. Am I being silly? Do I go to a dealership vs a guy who has a Tahoe, and does all his own work, even though he said he can do it?

I have a similar issue with my electronics acting up especially on the dash, I have changed the ecm and you can do the security relearn yourself it’s simply to do. Takes between 30-50 mins to do

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
S

SherylInKS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my electronics acting up especially on the dash, I have changed the ecm and you can do the security relearn yourself it’s simply to do. Takes between 30-50 mins to do
I have a MotorSports Mechanic who can do this so that is what I am going to do. When stuff works sometimes and then not others and then and then and then ......... I figured why not try.