2007 Tahoe..P0496 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys need help. I have dealing with this for about 6 months and refuse to go to the dealership. Went to Advanced Auto and had the code read and it was "P0496 Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow". I have changed the gas cap already and replaced the vapor canister vent solenoid with the hose.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-canister-vent-solenoid-cp606/10101018-P

It was fine for a week and the same code came back. What am I missing?
Also, I find when I fill the truck up when I go to start it it just cranks and cranks then I have to try to start it two more times then it will start. Happens everytime I fill it up.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Please identify what you are driving and the engine.

Looks like you are in Eugene, Oregon as am I. I know a great shop if you do need to take to one and there are lots of threads here about this type of repair.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cleared the code it comes back after a few cycles As Ron mentioned there are several options here. To avoid throwing parts at it have it scanned with a more thorough tool.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is a bad "vapor cannister purge valve", ACDelco # 214-1680 is what worked on mine?
View media item 28090

This ^^^

Don for the win!!!

It is an easy 5 minute job to swap it out. It's on the drivers side of the intake manifold kinda behind the alternator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 chevy tahoe 5.3 LTZ. I guess the "vapor cannister purge valve" is different from what I already replaced?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is a bad "vapor cannister purge valve", ACDelco # 214-1680 is what worked on mine?
View media item 28090
To remove the front hose on this is a pain, if you don't know what your looking at. I thought you squeeze the hose like the back, nope. There is a plastic barb on the bottom side you have to pry back with a pocket screw driver, and then it will pull off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14