2007 Tahoe back end slides on corners (like driving on ice)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpierce123X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello:
I hope this is the appropriate forum.

Yesterday while driving my ‘07 2WD Tahoe, I thought I had a flat. Pulled over and all 4 tires we fully inflated. After that, the Tahoe handled differently. Mainly when I turn a corner it feels like the backend slides. Very much like driving on ice when the car slides when it can’t gain traction.

I looked at the frontend sway bar links and they were toast. There no bushings on the links, just the “spacer”. So, I replaced them. However the backend still seems to slide when turning corners.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does the rear sway bar and bushings look like? I inspect my drivetrain and suspension monthly so stuff like this (hopefully) doesn't happen, learned my lesson in the past..

OP
OP
K

Kpierce123X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what does the rear sway bar and bushings look like? I inspect my drivetrain and suspension monthly so stuff like this (hopefully) doesn't happen, learned my lesson in the past..

Thanks for the quick reply. From what I can tell the rear links are ok. I have uploaded pictures of each side.

0E61B52D-417B-47B4-A31B-A4CB709B473E.jpeg 428DFE00-DB0C-4FBA-8605-C61AC360B562.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. From what I can tell the rear links are ok. I have uploaded pictures of each side.

View attachment 204712 View attachment 204713
ya they look ok, you might still have something else going on in the front then, you can jack up the front wheels and see if the tie rods are excessively loose and/or wheel hubs as well, when you have a wheel off the ground you can grab it at 12 & 6 and see if it has any play (there should be none), then try it at 3 & 9 which will have a little bit of play (normal) but shouldn't be real loose

OP
OP
K

Kpierce123X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya they look ok, you might still have something else going on in the front then, you can jack up the front wheels and see if the tie rods are excessively loose and/or wheel hubs as well, when you have a wheel off the ground you can grab it at 12 & 6 and see if it has any play (there should be none), then try it at 3 & 9 which will have a little bit of play (normal) but shouldn't be real loose

Thanks,
Tomorrow I’ll do as you suggested and report back.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your body mounts but more importantly, check each of the bolts and bushings on the differential links including the panhard bar.
ya I was gonna mention that but I'm thinking he still has some slop in the front end somewhere if the front sway bar was loose for a period of time it probably caused other stuff to prematurely wear.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your LSD is locked up. Find space in a parking lot, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then slowly accelerate and see if the left rear tire scrubs and if it feels like it's trying to "push" straight even though you have the front wheels turned.

OP
OP
K

Kpierce123X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if your LSD is locked up. Find space in a parking lot, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then slowly accelerate and see if the left rear tire scrubs and if it feels like it's trying to "push" straight even though you have the front wheels turned.

Thanks for the response. If the is a stuck LSD is there a way to unstick it? I am thinking I might have to call in the professionals.

Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If the is a stuck LSD is there a way to unstick it? I am thinking I might have to call in the professionals.

Thanks

I've had mine lock up once. I was parked on the edge of a parking lot and one wheel was off the asphalt in loose gravel. That wheel spun and the diff locked and stayed locked even after I got completely on the asphalt and stopped. I went in a couple of circles in each direction to see if I could unlock it and it wouldn't until I went backward. If your diff was locked while driving on the street, your tires would scrub and probably squeal in the turns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts