2007 Tahoe 5.3l AFM DOD delete thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured that be the next thing to do that I may have a shop handle. How's the difficulty of that? Would throwing a newer tyranny in be a wise choice also?

Tranny has to come out. This is why I pulled the engine when I did my AFM delete. I replaced all the gaskets/seals. Also upgraded the torque converter since it was right there. May as well replace the rear cover gasket and barbell while you're at it, too. The rear cover is like the front cover and oil pan- it has to be installed within very tight tolerances and centered on the crankshaft so that the new seal doesn't fail in short order.

If your trans is fine, I wouldn't replace it because it's out for a rear main seal leak.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far after replacing oil pump, and installed newer oring(green) my low oil pressure has been solved. So I can finally say this AFM delete was a success and hope this thread can help years to come with my questions and the answers given by you fine gents. Special thanks to Iamdub and Wsteele stayed the whole process with me.

Glad it's done! What are your pressures now?

ShootinHeavies

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just had my 2011 tahoe swapped with BTR stage 2 cam and now get service brakes soon light. It doesn’t store the code and only comes on randomly, and clears with key cycle. Anyone ever run into this? Everything normal before, swapped vacuum sensor at brake booster and no change.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably should have started your own thread.

Do you think the service brake soon message is related to the cam swap?

ShootinHeavies

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, wasnt sure if being new would get a thread going. The service brakes light only came on after the cam, no issues with the vehicle before. DOD was tuned out for years before the swap, the light is random but usually comes on after tapping the brakes and then putting pressure on it to stop the vehicle at idle/low rpms. We've tried to swap sensors, checked all hose connections, vac gauge test good overall but does stumble a little when tapping/pressing brakes at idle.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wasnt sure if being new would get a thread going. The service brakes light only came on after the cam, no issues with the vehicle before. DOD was tuned out for years before the swap, the light is random but usually comes on after tapping the brakes and then putting pressure on it to stop the vehicle at idle/low rpms. We've tried to swap sensors, checked all hose connections, vac gauge test good overall but does stumble a little when tapping/pressing brakes at idle.
If it helps, I have the same cam and no issues like you're describing. I did the work myself though. Makes me wonder if your brake booster hose to the intake got nicked. I can imagine a vacuum leak in that hose causing symptoms like this.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should create your own thread so it gets the attention it deserves. It seems to me to be a pretty low probability the new cam is causing the problem.

The vacuum you are getting is highest at idle or off the gas slowing down, so it may not be a vacuum related issue. The fluid level sensor can also go bad. If it thinks brake fluid levels are low, it will illuminate that message.

In my shop manual, it calls out using a Tech 2 (or equivalent) scan tool to test the brake fluid level sensor, nothing about normal resistances or voltage you could test the sensor with a simple multimeter.

Do you know anyone near you that has a Tech 2? You might check the Tech 2 Owners Map sticky to see if someone is close by that can do some debug for you.

ShootinHeavies

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We found a very small intake gasket leak, (the shop reused the factory ones) but not sure if thats enough to cause this. Put a Snap on unit on it and ran through everything, no codes and all sensors mentioned tested fine. The last time it threw the light on, i was backing down the drive way and the brake pedal went soft for a couple of seconds and then normal again, Tahoe drives great, abs functions as it should. Its idleing at aroun 650-700, and sometimes feels like its stumbling when in gear at stop light etc. We are gonna pull the intake and new gaskets, put some gauges on it agian and see what happens. On another note, could some of this be casued by the car settling into new tune? I had DOD tuned out via Diablo for years, untunned at the shop that did the work and they then tuned ECM and TCM with HP tuners. appreciate the help.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We found a very small intake gasket leak, (the shop reused the factory ones) but not sure if thats enough to cause this. Put a Snap on unit on it and ran through everything, no codes and all sensors mentioned tested fine. The last time it threw the light on, i was backing down the drive way and the brake pedal went soft for a couple of seconds and then normal again, Tahoe drives great, abs functions as it should. Its idleing at aroun 650-700, and sometimes feels like its stumbling when in gear at stop light etc. We are gonna pull the intake and new gaskets, put some gauges on it agian and see what happens. On another note, could some of this be casued by the car settling into new tune? I had DOD tuned out via Diablo for years, untunned at the shop that did the work and they then tuned ECM and TCM with HP tuners. appreciate the help.
I seriously doubt a small intake leak or any tune parameters are going to trigger the service brake message. Fixing an intake leak will make it run better though. It will lope a little more with a bigger cam, so maybe that is what you are feeling, @Geotrash could confirm or dispel this last idea though. Also, with tuning, it is all about the skill of the guy filling in the boxes.

There were a few threads a while back on the service brake message, one turned out to be a simple low fluid level, but the other had something to do with a bad O-Ring in the vacuum booster assembly. My search skills are poor, but you might try finding that one.

I think one thing you might try to help in diagnosing the issue is not think about the cam swap when you are thinking about the brake issue. It likely is just a coincidence it happened shortly after the cam swap. It could be related, but the odds are a lot greater it is something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons