2007 Denali Rough Idle and Stall After Running Long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think the problem is more likely still my cats/O2 sensors than it is my fuel pump/fuel system?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think the problem is more likely still my cats/O2 sensors than it is my fuel pump/fuel system?

Get hold of that Tech2 again and check your fuel pressure, see if the pressure drops more than 5 psi in a minute with the pump off. Test the injectors, turning them on and off and see if they are leaking, bleeding down the pressure.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I end up having to put a new pump in this tank does anyone have a recommendation (brand/model)? There are quite a few available for this truck on Rockauto.pumps.png

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC Delco OE was my choice when I did mine. I always like OE stuff for hard-to-get to stuff especially. I don't want to do it again any time soon. My original lasted for 160k miles.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: prior to buying any parts or turning any wrenches I rented a fuel pressure tester to see if I could find evidence of poor fuel delivery. Bingo.

Key on and engine off showed pressure jumping to about 50psi for a split second then quickly dropping down to about 20psi over a 30 second period. Engine on my pressure was reading 80+psi which is way above normal. The fuel pump should be pushing at 55-60psi in my vehicle. Regulator may have died, either way I needed a new pump.

Ordered it Monday night from RA, it arrived Wednesday night, I had it installed Thursday afternoon. Checked pressure after install: 60psi steady.

Haven't done quite enough driving in the conditions that would replicate the issue I was having, so I can't say yet whether or not this fixed it. Will update after more road time.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure your fuel trims were all jacked up from constant pressure changes while driving. I would reset that / batt disconnect, then drive it and let it relearn.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery when performing the install so the ECM would have already relearned. Should be all set. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue once and for all.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: prior to buying any parts or turning any wrenches I rented a fuel pressure tester to see if I could find evidence of poor fuel delivery. Bingo.

Key on and engine off showed pressure jumping to about 50psi for a split second then quickly dropping down to about 20psi over a 30 second period. Engine on my pressure was reading 80+psi which is way above normal. The fuel pump should be pushing at 55-60psi in my vehicle. Regulator may have died, either way I needed a new pump.

Ordered it Monday night from RA, it arrived Wednesday night, I had it installed Thursday afternoon. Checked pressure after install: 60psi steady.

Haven't done quite enough driving in the conditions that would replicate the issue I was having, so I can't say yet whether or not this fixed it. Will update after more road time.
Might have just been the FPR but since they moved them to the fuel pump assembly you might as well just replace the pump while you're there. I was having an issue with my 02 after installing my blower where I would have to crank it for awhile at times to start it or else prime it by cycling the key a couple times because my pressure was bleeding off after I shut it down. It was the regulator and I was able to buy a rebuild kit for $15 and fix it in 20 minutes. That isn't possible with the newer vehicles. Of course, 2 weeks ago the damn pump quit on me anyway. Glad to hear it looks like you got it fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans