2006 tahoe front/rear end suspension rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emanuel Hinton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There maybe another thread asking for this so take it easy on me or provide the corosponding link.

I have a 2006 tahoe (2wd 4.8l) with 300k miles on it. I had a mechanic change the idle/pitman arm and now my truck clacks when turning the steering wheel. Also i can tell that my suspension is going ojt since any verticla bouce feels unstable and is noisy.

Is there a complete parts list to rebuild front and rear? Also Steering components?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Your question is very encompassing. Did you have the tech that did the previous work on the idler and pitman arm recheck his work? You should have. When was the work done? Was it aligned after as it should have been? The possibilities of all front and rear steering and suspension parts replacement is boundless. The list you talk about is found by the parts search, typically at RA, and looking for quality parts and not letting the cost for the cheapest be your guide. At 300k miles, how much longer are you keeping the rig, that makes a big difference?

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
Emanuel Hinton

Emanuel Hinton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, ill fill out that information today.

I did not have him recheck. I did have it aligned (lifetime alignment with Firestone).

Everything mechanical is stock, except for a catalytic converter that i had replaced to pass emmisions.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you looked at Rock Auto to see the options? We all can spend your money easily. I like AC Delco parts or Moog. Others here have the same favs or some different. We are talking inner and outer tie rods, control arms, ball joints, center link, springs, shocks, stabilizer bars, links, trailing arms and bushings......etc. Some companies make complete kits and are listed at Rock Auto. Mevotech comes to mind. Get the credit card out. There are available discount codes for use at Rock Auto as well. Plus, the labor if you cannot do it yourself. This is why I asked if you are keeping the rig at 300k miles.

OP
OP
Emanuel Hinton

Emanuel Hinton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I prefer AC delco part where applicable. I figure if i was able to get 300k off of the originals another 300k should give me comparable reliability. I have looked at rock auto, a friend of mine did a partial rebuild and ran into a small issue (didnt change control are), and that ended up causing issues. I dont know enough about moog part expect they seem to be priced a lot lower than oem

My philosophy is fix it all while im under there. I just want to make sure i order all the neccessay parts at once so i dont have to touch it for another 14 years.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is ok for now but will not show with every post you make unless you always remember to do so. Go to your signature for your account and post it there and it will always show with every post and post other info like the year and model and engine size and trans and 2wd or 4wd....etc. The codes help but that means we have to look thru all the codes each time to see what you have.

OP
OP
Emanuel Hinton

Emanuel Hinton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question. In the signature page it seems the only way to apply image to Signature is via link. What is a recommended image upload site that will give me a link I can attach?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt