2006 5.3 2WD Tahoe missing going up hill sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless, I retested. I could see the top pressure when I turned the key but when I viewed the gauge it held very steady at 40psi and dropped very slowly almost not dropping at all. Was minutes and maybe down 2 psi.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless, I retested. I could see the top pressure when I turned the key but when I viewed the gauge it held very steady at 40psi and dropped very slowly almost not dropping at all. Was minutes and maybe down 2 psi.
40 Psi aint gonna cut it. You have a bad fuel pump or an internal leak (IE: leaky injector).

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40 Psi aint gonna cut it. You have a bad fuel pump or an internal leak (IE: leaky injector).
That's with not started. When started goes right to 59-60psi. I guess what you are saying is if I do the key on test it should go to e.g. 60 and hold. Right?

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today I poured in Lucas fuel system cleaner and spray cleaned the MAF. Probably a fuel pump replacement is in my future sooner or later so I'm getting my mind around that. I plan to get a quote next week. I don't really want to DIY the fuel pump - too much splashing gas around and having the car in the air in the driveway for maybe a few days.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's with not started. When started goes right to 59-60psi. I guess what you are saying is if I do the key on test it should go to e.g. 60 and hold. Right?
There is a spec and I believe its around 58-60+ psi. You are going to have to troubleshoot if its the pump or a fuel injector(s) leaking. Unmetered fuel getting let into a cylinder by a leaky injector(s) should cause a rich condition which a scanner should see in fuel trims and O2 sensors for that bank.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned the MAF. Hard to tell if those small resister wires were dirty. The mesh looks cleaner now. I dumped in a bottle of the Lucas Fuel System Cleaner. I figured it can't hurt.
Considering replacing the injectors - found out they are somewhat spendy ($80-90) so holding off on that for now. What brand/model of injector is recommended? AcDelco ?
Ordered a Foxwell NT510 - I'll see if O2 sensors are acting nicely and watch fuel trim and mis-fires. I might be able to report some graphs here.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I cleaned the MAF. Hard to tell if those small resister wires were dirty. The mesh looks cleaner now. I dumped in a bottle of the Lucas Fuel System Cleaner. I figured it can't hurt.
Considering replacing the injectors - found out they are somewhat spendy ($80-90) so holding off on that for now. What brand/model of injector is recommended? AcDelco ?
Ordered a Foxwell NT510 - I'll see if O2 sensors are acting nicely and watch fuel trim and mis-fires. I might be able to report some graphs here.
@Doubeleive just posted a link for some oem injectors at a good price. Hopefully he'll post it here for you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can have injectors cleaned on the vehicle at many shops they just connect directly to the fuel rail and run the cleaner thru them instead of fuel usually cost about $80-90
but you can find decently priced injectors on herko automotive they have a regular website and they also sell on ebay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14