2006 5.3 2WD Tahoe missing going up hill sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O2 sensors cant tell which cylinder is acting a fool since there are only 2 sensors. One for each bank. (Excluding the post cat sensors which have nothing to do with a/f ratio). Either somehow the knock sensors can tell which cylinder is the culprit(s) or there is flyback voltage on the cylinder(s) individual ignition coil(s) that are acting up and the PCM senses that. Interesting question though. One that ive never thought of. Now I MUST know the answer too!
My tech Tech 2 shows each cylinder in a list of 8 and then misfire counts in real time. IE: Cylinder 1 0001 Cylinder 2 0000
Very handy to see whats going on especially when spark plug wires are old but dont show any actual defect but are the reason there are misfires galore.
yes, interesting question. I've heard the ECU knows which reading on a given O2 sensor came from one of the four cylinders. More investigation needed.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Googled it.. There are 3 things mentioned:
- crankshaft speed (mentioned most frequently)
- coil signal (if no ignition then the signal is different)
- O2 sensor ( read about this re. F1 cars, each ignition is analyzed using the wideband sensor and injection is adjusted)
At this point I'll have to go with crankshaft speed.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seems to be an available OBD II code P0301 (last digit is the cylinder number).
This code is triggered and stored after a certain number of misfires on, in this example, cylinder #1. Right now I'm not seeing any codes like this.
Still not sure how the misfire is detected in the case of the Chevy 5.3L (2000-2006). More Googling needed.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this....
The Check Engine Light will come on if the percentage of increase or decrease in crankshaft revolutions per minute is between 2 percent and 10 percent. The Check Engine Light will blink if the percentage of the increase or decrease in crankshaft revolutions per minute is more than 10 percent.

at this location https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-cylinder-1-misfire-detected-by-jamahl-walker
That makes sense. The crank would turn at a slower speed during the misfire(s). The PCM could be using the crank position sensor as a trigger for the culprit cylinder. SO now im wondering if the knock sensors just detect a knock or not or actually have a way to determine which cylinder or the Crank sensor is also used as a trigger to get an even closer snapshot of the culprit cylinders in conjuction with the the knock sensor and/or any other sensors as triggers to get the PCM to pay closer attention.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Saturday I went on a trip that took me over to Livermore and the grade where I've noticed the hesitation or missing. There seemed to be a very slight hesitation (in 4th gear at about 65mph) I shifted to 3rd and it ran smooth. So I'm thinking the engine is getting enough fuel. I should have hooked up my scanner but I forgot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ciscotex