2005 Yukon XL / stopping power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just upgrade to the GMT-900 front brakes. They make a HUGE difference on the GMT-800 that has hydroboost and they're really cheap. There's tons of used calipers all over eBay.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I just had my brake fluid flushed, .. Tomorrow they are going to re-bleed the system first.

I like the GMT-900 idea.

The master cylinder might need replacement or overhaul if its not applying more pressure on the calipers as you do. U-Haul trailers have surge brakes so a brake controller won't work and is not necessary. Still a 4-wire plug.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
R1 brakes seem like a bit above what I need ($)..... I looked at Power Stop, and for slotted rotors & carbon pads ( fronts only), are about $181.00. (( Is that good enough for an improvement??))
Or, are our calipers good enough, to not have get the 'red-painted' Power Stop calipers? ( It raises the cost to almost $400.00 for fronts)

I am looking for an improved 'daily driver' stopping. I will find out the result of my brakes getting bled again tomorrow and see if any improvement...

I really appreciate all your input !!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my brakes bled today..... No air in the system,,,,

I am thinking about buying PowerStop Z23 rotors & pads for the front, and their pads on the rear.

Question..... Are my '05 Yukon front calipers good enough, or is it worth to get the PowerStop calipers?

I hear the rotors/pads are an improvement..... But is it enough to make a difference? ( Daily driving)

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have hydroboost and I upgraded to GMT900 calipers and rotors.

I would suggest instead of getting pricey stock sized rotors, to do the GMT900 upgrade with standard gmt900 rotors. Should be similar in price to the R1 rotors in stock size, and has an actual mechanical advantage, in other words it will actually improve braking...

Simply getting replacement rotors will not improve braking unless yours are already very worn down, even if you get the super expensive blingy ones that are drilled and slotted and cryogenically frozen.

More aggressive pads will. Larger rotors and calipers will. Hydroboost will.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be more than pleased with the GMT-900 upgrade it makes a huge difference and it bolts right in with no fuss. I did it on my mom's 05 about 8-10 years ago with some take-off calipers on eBay with pads, new GM rotors, and banjo bolt washers.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be more than pleased with the GMT-900 upgrade it makes a huge difference and it bolts right in with no fuss. I did it on my mom's 05 about 8-10 years ago with some take-off calipers on eBay with pads, new GM rotors, and banjo bolt washers.

So, you are saying, instead of getting my '05 front brakes, I can order GMT900 rotors-calipers, and it just bolts right up, with no mods? ( no different brackets for 900 calipers, etc?).....

( sorry for the questions.... I just want to order everything needed to up grade )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu