2005 Yukon XL / stopping power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not planning to tow very much and when I do, it won't be heavy.

I just had my brake fluid completely flushed ( about a month ago).....

Thinking about towing a less than heavy haul, I notice when I press on the brakes, I don't get that increase of stopping power as I push firmer. My concern is if I need to stop ( slow down ), I am concerned about brake fade.
My guess is to improve the fronts, as a more necessary , than the rears. ( My pads are still "OK").....
But not new .... I don't really want to do an "up-grade" $$$ Since I don't tow much.( and no hills)..

Is it possible to improve stopping power by just turning the front rotors & BETTER PADS????

((( I may wonder if the brake fluid flush, may still have air in the system?? )))

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the trailer has brakes. most do these days, get a brake box and set that up. our trucks are set up so its plug and play, the box will let the trailer plug brake wire work. just need to have it all wired up on the trailer side of the plug to work.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure all rentals have brakes these days, thats likely a tandem axle and will by law need brakes.

it would also likely be cheaper to but the brake controller on line not at u haul. im sure they sell them and will want to know if you have one, then try to sell you over priced stuff.

this is the one thats in my tahoe. it might have been a dealer installed option. as far as i can tell no one ever put a hitch in the receiver. its like new inside.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pWoufYfEnTVoLH6P9

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just looked up u haul, yes it has brakes but might not need the controller as its hydraulic brakes. means its self contained, theres a master in the hitch when the you hit your brakes the trailer will push on the truck and activate a piston that makes the brakes work. most boats have this due to dipping them in water, cant be getting electric brakes wet like that, my boat was 4,000 lb and had this style. worked great.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info..... Uh, yes, the U-Haul is a tandem axle.

I keep hearing the Yukons / Tahoes have sucky brakes.....

( I have hauled big stuff for 40 years)....... but my Yukon & set up is new to me.

My pet peeve is real good brakes. I might have my fronts checked & 'improved' in a couple weeks, just to be sure.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i got my tahoe it needed brakes bad. so i bought a full set of R1 concept e line drilled and slotted with the scorched ceramic pads. ran me like 200 or so shipped. ive used them before on other cars and they always work really good. just follow the bed in procedure and drive normal for like 500 miles and every day they just get better and better. my tahoe used to sit a lot till i sold off my other daily, from sitting i have to do a long firm brake to re bed em and bring em back to life. this aint a problem if you daily it. like i do now.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i got my tahoe it needed brakes bad. so i bought a full set of R1 concept e line drilled and slotted with the scorched ceramic pads. ran me like 200 or so shipped. ive used them before on other cars and they always work really good. just follow the bed in procedure and drive normal for like 500 miles and every day they just get better and better. my tahoe used to sit a lot till i sold off my other daily, from sitting i have to do a long firm brake to re bed em and bring em back to life. this aint a problem if you daily it. like i do now.

( You wrote:) " 200 shipped".... Uh, everything ?

Let me grab my face mask, gloves & bio suit, and I'll get it tomorrow!! :rolleyes:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
( You wrote:) " 200 shipped".... Uh, everything ?

Let me grab my face mask, gloves & bio suit, and I'll get it tomorrow!! :rolleyes:

virus only lasts a day on cardboard, if its hot outside even less time. better then what the local store will charge ya....they do ship from CA tho. virus should be killed in transit, just lysol the box down be done with it lol