1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 Yukon XL - Service Tire Monitor ..Uh,...1,2,3 or 4 of them?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by mountie, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mountie

mountie Full Access Member

Name:
    Peter
    Less than a year ago, installing new tires, I had replaced all Tire Monitors ( as you should)...

Well, the DIC is displaying the "STM"..... Before I return to tire shop for a warranty replacement, is there any way knowing which tire monitor is bad?? Warranty or not, I'd hate to have all 4 done if it's not necessary.

Gee.... I'm such a nice guy.

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    With a bi-directional scan tool that can read BCM codes, ala Tech-2.

3. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    The Tech2 will tell you, but I would wonder if the positions were set when the tires were rotated. You may not be able to count on what it's saying. I don't think my DIC tells me which position is bad (like when a tire is low), but the Tech2 would. Again, if the positions are correct.

Friend of mine had a tool that would wake up the sensor from the outside of the tire. It would tell you the tire pressure and the signal strength, or nothing if the sensor was dead.

4. UrbanSuburban

UrbanSuburban Full Access Member

Name:
    KJ
    That's a Bummer, damn batteries. If you do not have access to a Tech2 or Tech2Win then you can open the owners manual to the section on tpms and it will tell you the procedure to follow to get the positions recognized. Now that is probably not what you want but in doing the procedure it will stop at the wheel that does not beep the horn and that is at least one of the positions.

Fless likes this.
  5. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
    Name:
    Chris
    Iirc it's ignition on, flip heights on to off 4 times, car will Honk, then you either let air out or put air in, enough to cause a 1-2psi change in the pressures until the car beeps. Order is rf lf lr rr

6. mountie

mountie Full Access Member

Name:
    Peter
    I'll try the horn-beep test.