2005 Yukon Whine Noise Associated with Tach Speed - HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission pump or Torque converter will need to be ruled out.

From another Forum:
The pump is turning with the engine so it's always pumping fluid. In park and neutral there is no demand so a cavitating pump will make noise but it will be louder in gear.

When diagnosing transmission noise it's important to first establish if you have a pump noise, converter noise, or gear train noise.

A pump noise can be heard in park and neutral and usually gets louder with RPM increase. It will get even louder in gear however.

A converter noise will be very quiet to non existent in park and neutral and loud in gear. It will get louder as you stall it out and it will go away cruising down the road.

It is difficult to sometimes tell the difference between a pump noise and a converter noise.

A gear train noise will be non existent in park and neutral and when the vehicle is stopped. It will get louder as the vehicle speed incerases and change tone with each gear change. Also a gear noise will be most quiet in 3rd gear and get louder in overdrive.

OP
OP
seanstock

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One of two things is happening: The item that is whining gets under heavier load at certain times, and/or 2) the item that is whining is getting starved of lubricant at certain times. Because of the way these things are built, it is also possible the whine is coming from somewhere unexpected, and being baffled to the location where you are hearing it. You need to look at each of the parts that move at idle. I'd still be looking at your power steering system, if it were me. It is the one thing that really could be doing this even after having been evacuated and updated. Otherwise it has to be something that moves with the engine -- belts, pulleys, tensioners, the clutch fan (assuming you aren't electric). What year is your rig? Edit: I watched the video which has that information in the title; 2005 Yukon Denali XL 6.0. And I am, apparently, REALLY observant, since it is also in the title. :'(

Honestly, it really sounds like transmission whine. The only other thing I could think of is the power steering pump. Does it get any louder/worse, when you are turning to the absolute lock on either side?
Ok... I have a brand new PS pump which was replaced. YES the old one was bad and nearly took out the system. However, the new one is in, the system flushed 3 times and all bearings and (with the exception of the AC compressor) all tensioners and bearings and belts have been replaced. The sound is worst when colder, and at lower RPM but that may be because of the noise at higher RPM drowns it out. You mentioned transmission whine please explain....how can I determine this???? My year is 2005 Denali XL 1500 6.0 .... tell me more about the transmission. I thought if in park or neutral and it still makes the noise then it wouldn't be the tranny.. but someone else said that doesn't matter it would or could stull be the tranny even in Park or Neutral. I have dumped $3000 into a car worth $5000 and I am not happy.

OP
OP
seanstock

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

From another Forum:
The pump is turning with the engine so it's always pumping fluid. In park and neutral there is no demand so a cavitating pump will make noise but it will be louder in gear.

When diagnosing transmission noise it's important to first establish if you have a pump noise, converter noise, or gear train noise.

A pump noise can be heard in park and neutral and usually gets louder with RPM increase. It will get even louder in gear however.

A converter noise will be very quiet to non existent in park and neutral and loud in gear. It will get louder as you stall it out and it will go away cruising down the road.

It is difficult to sometimes tell the difference between a pump noise and a converter noise.

A gear train noise will be non existent in park and neutral and when the vehicle is stopped. It will get louder as the vehicle speed incerases and change tone with each gear change. Also a gear noise will be most quiet in 3rd gear and get louder in overdrive.
THANK YOU... OK.. it is not louder in gear and higher RPM. It is ALWAYS there. So according to you... that would be Torque Conveter or Transmission Pump.... how best to diagnose?????

OP
OP
seanstock

seanstock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

From another Forum:

Wait... you said if it was a converter then it would not be there in park or neutral. Right??? It's NOT.. but if I rev the engine in Park it happens in P and N ... so what do you think???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my suggestion at this point is to take it to either a mechanic with a set of chassis ears or to a dealer with a set of chassis ears.
that will get you to the source of the noise. you could also buy a set of chassis ears if you wanted to just do it yourself.
the "ears" are attachable electronic mics that are clipped on under the vehicle and each one sends a signal for the noise level,(the higher the reading the closer it is to the source) this allows you determine the location of the noise by moving the mics around closer to the source as you monitor it until you find the source. it's like a high level stethoscope.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
take the belt off, hand turn all your pulleys and idlers, tensioner, they should all spin smooth, if one feels gritty its bad.

also fire it up belt off. if the sound is gone you know its something belt driven for sure.

Curious, was this done? Especially running the engine for a short time with no belts. Results?