2005 Yukon Coolant Leak Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scettles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! Me and my wife just adopted a few kids this year... And got a few more a few months ago we are fostering to adopt... And my parents gave us this awesome vehicle. We needed way more room! Lol. It's an old 270k Yukon. Anyways. They told me had a small oil leak and small coolant leak. No big deal. Once a month need a quart of oil and like half a new bottle of coolant. Been fine with this route as we are going to get her a van in a few months...

In last few weeks it's gotten way worst and can't go this route anymore lol. I never drive this vehicle and so sorry of out of mind. Wife told me wasn't getting hot anymore from the air conditioning... I grabbed some coolant went to fill it up. It's below the engine leaking out semi slowly in my real time view :(. I can watch it go down in the reservoir slowly when the engine isn't even running. Went today with some distilled water and filled it all the way up to the cap, or just below the extra little line at the top near the cap... And looked below engine and seems to be dripping off the passenger wheel well area on to ground... And below the front of the engine maybe what im guessing is the water pump? Father said he had a new water pump put on 2 years ago.

How many hoses come off this reservoir... Where do they go, what's easiest way to access them all... Same water pump, and radiator and such. I don't care to replace all the hoses or whatever just need a little guidance and what could possibly be and what I should order as I can't work on it until end of week so it's parked... But I'd like to go ahead and order stuff today and I can send back what I don't need...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Me and my wife just adopted a few kids this year... And got a few more a few months ago we are fostering to adopt... And my parents gave us this awesome vehicle. We needed way more room! Lol. It's an old 270k Yukon. Anyways. They told me had a small oil leak and small coolant leak. No big deal. Once a month need a quart of oil and like half a new bottle of coolant. Been fine with this route as we are going to get her a van in a few months...

In last few weeks it's gotten way worst and can't go this route anymore lol. I never drive this vehicle and so sorry of out of mind. Wife told me wasn't getting hot anymore from the air conditioning... I grabbed some coolant went to fill it up. It's below the engine leaking out semi slowly in my real time view :(. I can watch it go down in the reservoir slowly when the engine isn't even running. Went today with some distilled water and filled it all the way up to the cap, or just below the extra little line at the top near the cap... And looked below engine and seems to be dripping off the passenger wheel well area on to ground... And below the front of the engine maybe what im guessing is the water pump? Father said he had a new water pump put on 2 years ago.

How many hoses come off this reservoir... Where do they go, what's easiest way to access them all... Same water pump, and radiator and such. I don't care to replace all the hoses or whatever just need a little guidance and what could possibly be and what I should order as I can't work on it until end of week so it's parked... But I'd like to go ahead and order stuff today and I can send back what I don't need...
you just need a flashlight and eyeballs, look from below and follow the fluid trail up, you should be able to find the source of the leak and then post up some photos and we can give you some advice on how to proceed with the repair.

OP
OP
S

Scettles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you just need a flashlight and eyeballs, look from below and follow the fluid trail up, you should be able to find the source of the leak and then post up some photos and we can give you some advice on how to proceed with the repair.
Absolutely! I'll fill it up tomorrow morning and take some pics and see where we can go. At work currently until midnight but will do that first thing tomorrow morning real quick!

rzabel

Reaction score
I had a 2 year old water pump start leaking last month. It was a Napa part installed by a Napa shop in another state. My local shop (also Napa affiliated) replaced it and Napa covered the cost - parts and labor. Two ways to look at that - a 2 year old pump shouldn't start leaking, but it's good that it didn't cost me anything.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A cooling system pressure tester is your friend. Get one/rent one and pressurize the system and go with your flashlight flexible mirror and great eyes and find the culprit.

OP
OP
S

Scettles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a probably crappy video lol. Poured some water in and waited for the drips and then tried putting my phone down where could try to get a good shot. Not sure if I got exactly what ya need. But water pump area definitely. Wednesday I'll have time to take off everything to get to it/better vision of it. But here's what I got for now...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a probably crappy video lol. Poured some water in and waited for the drips and then tried putting my phone down where could try to get a good shot. Not sure if I got exactly what ya need. But water pump area definitely. Wednesday I'll have time to take off everything to get to it/better vision of it. But here's what I got for now...
looks like it's either the thermostat housing and leaking down from there and dripping from the water pump housing or from the back of the water pump hard to tell, the thermostat housing being wet could be from the water hitting the belt and slinging it around. If you take a closer look at the thermostat housing and feel under it with your fingers you should be able to tell for sure.
or you could get under the truck and take the plastic shield off under the front that way you can look straight up under the water pump, it's 5 bolt's 13mm or 15mm

OP
OP
S

Scettles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looks like it's either the thermostat housing and leaking down from there and dripping from the water pump housing or from the back of the water pump hard to tell, the thermostat housing being wet could be from the water hitting the belt and slinging it around. If you take a closer look at the thermostat housing and feel under it with your fingers you should be able to tell for sure.
or you could get under the truck and take the plastic shield off under the front that way you can look straight up under the water pump, it's 5 bolt's 13mm or 15mm
I gotcha. I'm trying to get it back on the road asap. Ordered new ac Delco water pump without therm housing and a seperate ac Delco therm housing and thermostat. This way I either replace it all, or send back what I don't need. Also ordered some of the good gaskets and not the paper kind. Partswill be here Wednesday as I'm off work that day I'll tear it down and get it really figured out and I'll report back! Also got a pressure tester set to really check it when get things swapped over and have real ease of mind! Hopefully get wife and kids back on road for Thanksgiving

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotcha. I'm trying to get it back on the road asap. Ordered new ac Delco water pump without therm housing and a seperate ac Delco therm housing and thermostat. This way I either replace it all, or send back what I don't need. Also ordered some of the good gaskets and not the paper kind. Partswill be here Wednesday as I'm off work that day I'll tear it down and get it really figured out and I'll report back! Also got a pressure tester set to really check it when get things swapped over and have real ease of mind! Hopefully get wife and kids back on road for Thanksgiving
good idea that way it's all fixed up for sure:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS