2005 Yukon 5.3 / stock- that crazy air box??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wrapping my wires with Summit sleeving, and cleaning under the hood ( pretty clean already).....
Hard to reach around that crazy air box... Is there a proven replacement that won't change the stock air system so not to screw with an adjustment?? Do I really need that thing? I'd rather get a cleaner style.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wrapping my wires with Summit sleeving, and cleaning under the hood ( pretty clean already).....
Hard to reach around that crazy air box... Is there a proven replacement that won't change the stock air system so not to screw with an adjustment?? Do I really need that thing? I'd rather get a cleaner style.

You mean the resonator chamber(s) on the intake duct?

You could get an Airaid MIT as a bolt-on solution. Those chambers are to attenuate the sound of the engine inhaling through a plastic tube. They're just mufflers. Without them, you'll hear a throaty growl when you get on the throttle. Personally, I think it sounds great- virtually silent when cruising but growls when you open 'er up. Had I not wanted more, I would've been satisfied with it and wouldn't have gotten a louder exhaust. I think you would need #200-919. Confirm this first as there were two models for the GMT800- one for the trucks with a clutch fan and one for those with electric fans.

Definitely cleans it up:

1712d1334277840-new-intake-04-silverado-airaid-mit.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, just leave the actual air box and replace the tube with either the one above or one made from ABS. You can find how-to videos if you want to tackle your own. Then you can always wrap it with fiberglass header wrap if you don’t like the looks of it. Here’s a pic of some wrap on my intake tube.

Attachments

• 7ECD9F29-16E1-40A3-88D2-D0DCD1470119.jpeg
    7ECD9F29-16E1-40A3-88D2-D0DCD1470119.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys....... AIRAID..... got to get one. It almost looks OEM.....

Out of stock..... wonderful.... ( Stuck out on a freighter off shore??)

Who else makes one?

Update..... the resonator does more than quiet the sound...... It manages the air pressures to all the intake areas. It could reduce HP due to uneven pressure / flow ??

I wonder if there is a resonator that does what it is supposed to do but not as large as the one in my Yukon...... Hmmm....

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update..... the resonator does more than quiet the sound...... It manages the air pressures to all the intake areas. It could reduce HP due to uneven pressure / flow ??

I wonder if there is a resonator that does what it is supposed to do but not as large as the one in my Yukon...... Hmmm....

"Manages the air pressures to all the intake areas"?

You mean it manages the pressures between it and the throttle blade 10" downstream? After the TB, it's all "managed" by the manifold. This might be relevant on a high-end car. But, surely not on a run-of-the-mill workhorse truck engine from the manufacturer that tells us 3+ quarts of oil consumption between OCIs is acceptable. No way did GM invest that much R&D into the intake duct.

I don't recall the exact specs, but I remember Black Bear's tests on the MIT for the pre-2015s showed something like +8HP and about half that in TQ. Maybe it shifts the power band up a little. Regardless, it's nothing you'd ever realize. Not when you're giving it more throttle than usual just so you can hear it growl. ;) You'd get more out of the sound and appearance than anything. While you're in the area, upgrade the other small GM flop- that pathetic seal between the filter box and fender.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The replies are much appreciated! I learned a lot this week.
I like improving my Yukon, but try to keep it original.
Is the Airaid MIT the only tube on the market? I haven't found any other.. yet.
A hundred and fifty bucks is sort of pricey for what is mainly plastic?
If the MIT is the best choice, for a one-piece, then no problem.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The replies are much appreciated! I learned a lot this week.
I like improving my Yukon, but try to keep it original.
Is the Airaid MIT the only tube on the market? I haven't found any other.. yet.
A hundred and fifty bucks is sort of pricey for what is mainly plastic?
If the MIT is the best choice, for a one-piece, then no problem.

I believe it's the only tube like that, and probably why they can charge $150 for it. I haven't seen any in a long time, but used MITs seemed to pop up for sale once or twice a year in the classifieds from people returning their trucks to stock. They usually went for around $100.

You could get a $50 "cold air intake kit" off ebay and trash the filter and "heat shield". You might have to trim a couple inches off the tube's length since you'd be fitting it to the stock air box. Spray painting a satin black wrinkle finish would blend it in decently well with the rest of the stock equipment.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114741507699?fits=Year:2005|Model:Tahoe&hash=item1ab7207673:g:OjAAAOSwuFhgcAGx

If you wanna be extra fancy, use some T-bolt clamps. Here's some black ones: https://www.racepartsolutions.com/item/1903364-black-t-bolt-clamp-for-300-hose

Another option to keep it cheap and looking original is to cut the resonator chambers off the stock duct and epoxy them closed, maybe using pieces of the cut-off chambers. A little sanding and paint would make it like they never existed. A member here did this a couple years ago and, IIRC, measured the differences in air flow according to the MAF and/or MAP sensor readings. I think he was aiming for 1 BAR on the MAP.

There's the PVC or ABS plumbing pipe method, but I doubt you're looking to get that involved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts