2005 tahoe Oil Pressure Warning Keeps Coming On When Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jace Dellenbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE- Took it to another mechanic and he said my oil pressure is fine, he believes that the problem is in the wiring, maybe a short in the system. thank you all for your quick replies. much appreciated.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE- Took it to another mechanic and he said my oil pressure is fine, he believes that the problem is in the wiring, maybe a short in the system. thank you all for your quick replies. much appreciated.
Sounds like you might be on the way to getting stuff resolved. Knowing the mechanical stuff is working means your motor will live to see another day.

To be honest - I consider hooking up an oil pressure gauge as Mechanic 101 level stuff when dealing with Oil Pressure warnings. I would put the third mechanic a little higher on your call list than the first two guys who said they were stumped.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be on the way to getting stuff resolved. Knowing the mechanical stuff is working means your motor will live to see another day.

To be honest - I consider hooking up an oil pressure gauge as Mechanic 101 level stuff when dealing with Oil Pressure warnings. I would put the third mechanic a little higher on your call list than the first two guys who said they were stumped.

Agree about the third tech. It is always basics first and those first two techs sound like they just scratched their heads unless something slaps them in the face. They are parts changers.

RBT1789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the issue and resolution? I just purchased a 2005 Chevy Tahoe and am having the same issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the issue and resolution? I just purchased a 2005 Chevy Tahoe and am having the same issue.
First, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second, would be best to post your concern in this section and you will get a better response for that. Inserting in to another thread gets you lost sometimes.

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These vehicles have oil sender issues. Sometimes it's the screen in the oil pressure sensor port that gets plugged and causes a "bad sensor". They don't all have the screen though. I've replaced a bunch of them. Also, cheap oil filters can lower the oil pressure. The GM filter is a good choice. And to reiterate, the oil pump pick up tube o-ring can also cause low pressure. I had one fail right after changing and oil pan gasket. Then I had to do the job again.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These vehicles have oil sender issues. Sometimes it's the screen in the oil pressure sensor port that gets plugged and causes a "bad sensor". They don't all have the screen though. I've replaced a bunch of them. Also, cheap oil filters can lower the oil pressure. The GM filter is a good choice. And to reiterate, the oil pump pick up tube o-ring can also cause low pressure. I had one fail right after changing and oil pan gasket. Then I had to do the job again.

There should be no screen under an NBS oil pressure sender. Screens started with AFM.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Recently did the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. While I was in there did a new pickup tube and seal, because I was in there. Not gonna go that far without doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout