2005 Tahoe 4x4 Boat Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandpalecea

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm an avid reader of this site and love all the information members have shared. I have a 2004 Tahoe 4x4 LT with ZW7 suspension. I replaced the factory rear and front shocks with Bilsteins 5100. No lift. And replaced the rear springs with HD springs, not the Bilsteins. I gave it about a year for the shocks and springs to break in. Now it's reality time. The rear is a lot stiffer. It will skip over potholes which can be dangerous on the freeway. It still tends to sway a bit side to side. I don't know if it will ever get back to the new original ride. BTW. I saved the Nivomat rear shocks. There is very strong resistance. I can't compress them. Should I replace the rear Bilsteins with the Nivomat or ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're not lifted you should probably be using the Bilstein 4600s.

On your front suspension, do the jounce stops contact the lower control arms? They should, and that's a fulcrum point for stability.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
What kind of tires and what tire pressures?

HD springs are going to make a harsher ride.

Side sway is often from worn bushings on the anti-roll bars aka swaybars. Check the frame bushings and the end link bushings.

PS this is in the 2021 model year section. You could ask the mods to move it, or start over in the right section for a better response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts