2005 Tahoe 4.8 Shaky crankshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwill945

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
05 Tahoe with the 4.8. Has 140k miles. This the second one I’ve owned and I absolutely love it. I’ve replaced/repaired the list below. But after the purge/evap repair it is idling rough and dying at stop signs/red lights with no codes at all. Took it to my guy’s shop (long time friend who also provides services for my company’s fleet vehicles) who I trust 100%. He replaced harmonic balancer but same issues on my drive home. After talking with him and my own observations, we found out the crankshaft is bent/warped causing the harmonic balancer to wobble and the ac belt tensioner to go crazy. His advice was to sell it as is or drive it until it blows up and replace the engine. I’m torn on what to do, like I said I love this old ‘hoe. Any advice is appreciated!!
-new plus and wires
-new water pump
-new battery and alternator
-replaced rear main seal and oil pan gasket
-replace charcoal canister, purge solenoid, clean out fuel lines
-new harmonic balancer

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
05 Tahoe with the 4.8. Has 140k miles. This the second one I’ve owned and I absolutely love it. I’ve replaced/repaired the list below. But after the purge/evap repair it is idling rough and dying at stop signs/red lights with no codes at all. Took it to my guy’s shop (long time friend who also provides services for my company’s fleet vehicles) who I trust 100%. He replaced harmonic balancer but same issues on my drive home. After talking with him and my own observations, we found out the crankshaft is bent/warped causing the harmonic balancer to wobble and the ac belt tensioner to go crazy. His advice was to sell it as is or drive it until it blows up and replace the engine. I’m torn on what to do, like I said I love this old ‘hoe. Any advice is appreciated!!
-new plus and wires
-new water pump
-new battery and alternator
-replaced rear main seal and oil pan gasket
-replace charcoal canister, purge solenoid, clean out fuel lines
-new harmonic balancer
From what I've read--and seen myself--it's somewhat common. My 05 Chevy Express wobbles. Bought it with 110k, it now has 151k. Also has the 4.8.

OP
OP
J

Jwill945

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I've read--and seen myself--it's somewhat common. My 05 Chevy Express wobbles. Bought it with 110k, it now has 151k. Also has the 4.8.
Had any issues pop up with it? Just worried about developing enough wobble to cause piston damage.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1998 Buck Century w/ 3400 V6. I ABOSOLUTELY loved it. Got it with 115k on a newer motor (guy swapped it from junkyard). I drove it to 185k and sold it to my buddy who drove it to 200k when it blew up.

I found same issue after I owned the car. Somebody must have hoisted the motor on balancer or something. It visibly wobbled... I couldn't believe it, I was so daring as to touch the balancer and feel it wobbling.

And *sigh* in the end it spun a bearing. Other than visibly though was only way to notice it. I don't think it would have any effect on pistons? I think a main bearing went out if I recall what my buddy said. And yes I did disclose the issue to him when he bought it :)

I hate to say this, but honestly... Isn't hard to swap a engine in one of these. I've done it now haha A lift and a weekend and you can have a different motor in there. Plus the engines are CHEAP and plentiful.

OP
OP
J

Jwill945

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been avoiding the issue for a bit. My wife is getting a new ride, so I’m driving her Terrain for now. I posted the Tahoe for sale (included issues in post) but no real interest. I’m pretty sure it has a bad main bearing causing the wobble. Now what to do??? Sell it for whatever I can get or replace engine? If I do decide to swap engines, what to put in it???

OP
OP
J

Jwill945

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 1998 Buck Century w/ 3400 V6. I ABOSOLUTELY loved it. Got it with 115k on a newer motor (guy swapped it from junkyard). I drove it to 185k and sold it to my buddy who drove it to 200k when it blew up.

I found same issue after I owned the car. Somebody must have hoisted the motor on balancer or something. It visibly wobbled... I couldn't believe it, I was so daring as to touch the balancer and feel it wobbling.

And *sigh* in the end it spun a bearing. Other than visibly though was only way to notice it. I don't think it would have any effect on pistons? I think a main bearing went out if I recall what my buddy said. And yes I did disclose the issue to him when he bought it :)

I hate to say this, but honestly... Isn't hard to swap a engine in one of these. I've done it now haha A lift and a weekend and you can have a different motor in there. Plus the engines are CHEAP and plentiful.
Do I get a salvage/reman/new engine? Also do I stick with 4.8 or go 5.3, or even find the elusive 6.0?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My Tahoe originally came with the 4.8 also. I decided to swap to the 6.0. Cammed it, with long tubes, a tune and a 3k stall. Originally went with the lq4, when that motor went I eventually got an lq9.
Do I get a salvage/reman/new engine? Also do I stick with 4.8 or go 5.3, or even find the elusive 6.0?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jwill945

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe originally came with the 4.8 also. I decided to swap to the 6.0. Cammed it, with long tubes, a tune and a 3k stall. Originally went with the lq4, when that motor went I eventually got an lq9.

Where did you source the lq9 from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu