2005 stepper motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasonrebellion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I noticed this morning that my voltmeter was reading high, around 18.5v. After I got off work, it was reaching almost 19 so I threw a meter on it. Getting 12.5 from the battery and around 14.5 with truck running which seems normal. My best guess is the stepper motor is failing. Can anyone tell me if their voltmeter goes to to 9 when key is off? Mine is staying on about 14.5 or so. It’s going to 18.5v with key on but motor not started. Thanks!

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a stepper motor issue.

To confirm, you can always pull the cluster from the dash and put the multimeter lead at the pink wire pin (B9 I think). There’s only one pink wire. Ground the other lead in the door jamb or other suitable spot and verify the voltage there while the engine is running. If voltage is reading what you’re reading in the engine bay then you’ve got good supporting evidence that the stepper motor is bad.

It’s super easy to do and takes all of 5 minutes. Pull the bezel, unscrew 4 7mm bolts, slide cluster out (don’t unplug).

At any rate, to answer your question my gauge stays at 9V when off (no key). Key in ON position (engine still off) I am just above the fat marker between 9V and 14V.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you do the voltage check on the harness to cluster connector, check B9 and B11, but also check them against both grounds (B12 and A12). I'm pretty sure that the correct ground that is associated with the Bxx terminals is the B12 ground, but I might be wrong. These are separate grounds to different circuits in the cluster. It also wouldn't hurt to test the B+ with a known good ground.

Chart also attached as PDF.

1633887523900.png

Attachments

• 2003-2006 Cluster Pinout.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9