2005 Chevy Tahoe start engine problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005TahoeDriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t been able to drive my 2005 Chevy Tahoe for months. I just got a new battery and after installing it I attempted to start it up. The dashboard lights up just fine and everything electrical seems to be working, but when I turn the key all the way to start the engine, it just won’t start. It cranks/cycles like it’s trying to start but it just won’t start. I’m not much of a mechanic, so I’m hoping someone will point out some of the things that could be the problem..maybe a fuel line is clogged from not being started for months?
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, please. Thank you ahead of time.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you turn the key to the "on" not the start can you hear the fuel pump run? It should run for a second or 2. If not hit the bottom of the gas tank and check again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been able to drive my 2005 Chevy Tahoe for months. I just got a new battery and after installing it I attempted to start it up. The dashboard lights up just fine and everything electrical seems to be working, but when I turn the key all the way to start the engine, it just won’t start. It cranks/cycles like it’s trying to start but it just won’t start. I’m not much of a mechanic, so I’m hoping someone will point out some of the things that could be the problem..maybe a fuel line is clogged from not being started for months?
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, please. Thank you ahead of time.
Reach under the gas tank and smack it bottom dead center with a hammer or rubber mallet a few times, then try and start it.
if it starts then you need a fuel pump, if it doesn't start then check fuel pressure, if no fuel pressure then it's the fuel pump (most likely)
if you get lucky and it starts after hitting it with a hammer the 1st time then do not park it somewhere inconvenient because it might not start again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV