2004 Yukon liftgate handle broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThomasKelly1952

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well just got a 2004 Yukon and still hadn't worked out the locking in DIC(sic). So when I went to open the liftgate, it broke in my hand since it was still locked. It didn't break right off but just seemed like one side.
On looking at various you tube videos, I just needed to drill a hole from the inside and put a screwdriver in the hole and turn and then it would finally open. I forgot to say that it is stuck closed. These holes (3) do not work. I am in a real pickle since I don't know where to go from here.

Should I try peeling off the frame around the handle and then see what I should do from there?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just got a 2004 Yukon and still hadn't worked out the locking in DIC(sic). So when I went to open the liftgate, it broke in my hand since it was still locked. It didn't break right off but just seemed like one side.
On looking at various you tube videos, I just needed to drill a hole from the inside and put a screwdriver in the hole and turn and then it would finally open. I forgot to say that it is stuck closed. These holes (3) do not work. I am in a real pickle since I don't know where to go from here.

Should I try peeling off the frame around the handle and then see what I should do from there?
You must not be inserting the screw driver into the correct spot, there is a dimple in the plastic trim on the inside that is the spot that should have been drilled 1" circle

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just went through this exact scenario with my 2006 denali. Separating the frame from the handle is doable, but it’s a major pain in the behind! The handle is held into the frame with little metal rods and the go through a hole that the handle is mounted into inside the frame Part of the assembly. It’s on the underside of the handle. It’s near impossible to get the rods out. You’re better off to just replace the entire piece as one unit. I ordered a new one, and while I waited for the new one and paint to set on the new one, I loosened the panels on the interior of the tailgate and when I needed to open the entire tailgate(which is often for work), I would open the glass and reach in and pull on the latch mechanism inside the gate just reaching my hands in between the panel. The latch is directly behind the handle. Easy to do though it’s annoying. But it worked while I waited on a new handle and paint. When I was ready for install, I pulled the tailgate open, removed all the trim pieces and then the entire handle assembly is held in by 2 10mm nuts on the inside of the tailgate. The latch has a small nut securing the little metal cable type piece into the side of the latch. Once the nut is undone the cable bit pops off and the latch will come with the handle assembly. My new handle had the entire latch piece already assembled on the back side of the latch ready to go. Once those are undone you gently pry the handle assembly off the tailgate from the outside around that frame piece, with either a small pick or flathead screwdriver and the entire piece pops off. Reverse the recess for install of a new handle assembly.

OP
OP
ThomasKelly1952

ThomasKelly1952

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went through this exact scenario with my 2006 denali. Separating the frame from the handle is doable, but it’s a major pain in the behind! The handle is held into the frame with little metal rods and the go through a hole that the handle is mounted into inside the frame Part of the assembly. It’s on the underside of the handle. It’s near impossible to get the rods out. You’re better off to just replace the entire piece as one unit. I ordered a new one, and while I waited for the new one and paint to set on the new one, I loosened the panels on the interior of the tailgate and when I needed to open the entire tailgate(which is often for work), I would open the glass and reach in and pull on the latch mechanism inside the gate just reaching my hands in between the panel. The latch is directly behind the handle. Easy to do though it’s annoying. But it worked while I waited on a new handle and paint. When I was ready for install, I pulled the tailgate open, removed all the trim pieces and then the entire handle assembly is held in by 2 10mm nuts on the inside of the tailgate. The latch has a small nut securing the little metal cable type piece into the side of the latch. Once the nut is undone the cable bit pops off and the latch will come with the handle assembly. My new handle had the entire latch piece already assembled on the back side of the latch ready to go. Once those are undone you gently pry the handle assembly off the tailgate from the outside around that frame piece, with either a small pick or flathead screwdriver and the entire piece pops off. Reverse the recess for install of a new handle assembly.
Thank you for the info! Sorry I find it hard to maneuver around or I would have replied earlier.
I have gotten so far as to be able to access and open the liftgate, just have to get Picknpull to provide the part but it is a long way from here (about 1.5 hours) so have to find the time to get there.
Thanks again!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! Sorry I find it hard to maneuver around or I would have replied earlier.
I have gotten so far as to be able to access and open the liftgate, just have to get Picknpull to provide the part but it is a long way from here (about 1.5 hours) so have to find the time to get there.
Thanks again!
I hear ya. The closest junkyard to me is also an hour a half away. I orderEd a brand new handle on amazon, it was delivered to in a day and a half, it was like 25 bucks and didn’t cost me the fuel or the time to drive to the junkyard.

OP
OP
ThomasKelly1952

ThomasKelly1952

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I finally went to PicknPull but they didn't have it. Someone went through the yard and pried them off until they broke into pieces.
Before I went there, I stopped at Lordco(parts supply) and asked for a price $196.00CDN or about $165.US for a new part either in black, black flat or a higher charge for chrome.
Guess I'll hunt around amazon, ebay or other junk yards.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally went to PicknPull but they didn't have it. Someone went through the yard and pried them off until they broke into pieces.
Before I went there, I stopped at Lordco(parts supply) and asked for a price $196.00CDN or about $165.US for a new part either in black, black flat or a higher charge for chrome.
Guess I'll hunt around amazon, ebay or other junk yards.
Holy crap that’s expensive! Definitely look around amazon and ebay.