2004 Yukon Denali XL - yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a single owner '04 Yukon Denali XL for sale near me. It's got a slight lift, not sure of the brand yet. Looks to be in very good condition and has been in a single family its whole life. The only hang up is it has 172k miles. Seller is asking $4900. How reliable are these trucks? I'm not concerned about MPGs and need a family hauler for an outdoor oriented family. Would you steer clear at such high mileage?

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the location as to how much these sell for. If it's clean, no rust, and they have decent maintenance history on it....I'd take a chance on it. If it has been serviced regularly and took car of it should have many years of service left. I picked mine up in NC with about 150,000 miles and around that price.

OP
OP
D

DavidZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the PNW. I'd need it to be reliable enough to do DD duties of 40 miles round trip four times per week.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That mileage is nothing. Lifted - I would be checking the transmission and suspension components like upper and lower control arms.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a good test drive see how the transmission feels and shifts. If it's been taken care of and serviced you should have a long life left. I'm my experience the transmission in these vehicles start to go after the 200k mark again depending on maintenance and how it was driven. Also running by a shop and having it looked over is never a bad idea if you're not sure of anything. picked up my 02 Tahoe z71 with 161k on it no rust everything working for 3800.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a single owner '04 Yukon Denali XL for sale near me. It's got a slight lift, not sure of the brand yet. Looks to be in very good condition and has been in a single family its whole life. The only hang up is it has 172k miles. Seller is asking $4900. How reliable are these trucks? I'm not concerned about MPGs and need a family hauler for an outdoor oriented family. Would you steer clear at such high mileage?

That mileage is nothing.
Agree

Give it a good test drive see how the transmission feels and shifts. If it's been taken care of and serviced you should have a long life left. I'm my experience the transmission in these vehicles start to go after the 200k mark again depending on maintenance and how it was driven. Also running by a shop and having it looked over is never a bad idea if you're not sure of anything. picked up my 02 Tahoe z71 with 161k on it no rust everything working for 3800.
Bring a code reader, if you have one to see if there are any stored codes. I have asked if I could go with them and get the oil changed on my dime just so I can see what condition the oil is when it comes out. If they get too goofy about it and flat out refuse, that might be a read flag. Also, if you are looking at it at their place, take note of how well the rest of their stuff looks. If the rest of their cars look rough, or there are a bunch of oil stains on the driveway, you might start asking more questions. Definitely put it through the paces during the test drive. Heck even ask if they can drive while you sit in the middle or back seat with the radio off to see if you can hear any strange noises.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or better yet take it to your mechanic not theirs before you buy. Those miles are nothing to worry about. Look up the owners manual for what should have been replaced or at least serviced at this mileage if all is well go.

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Denali (not XL). I bought it with 112K and now has 230K. It was solid when I bought it and although I have done a number of maintenance items over 6 years it is still solid. I changed the trans fluid and filter twice and regularly drain and fill transfer case and front diff. I changed rear differential at 145k. The front differentials can have carrier bearings fail and mine is no different however I drain and fill every 10K. I have been milking it along however I have a good used one on standby.
I expect to see this last another couple years or another 60K miles.
So if its been taken care of and you continue to do so the high mileage should not be an issue.

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Denali (not XL). I bought it with 112K and now has 230K. It was solid when I bought it and although I have done a number of maintenance items over 6 years it is still solid. I changed the trans fluid and filter twice and regularly drain and fill transfer case and front diff. I changed rear differential at 145k. The front differentials can have carrier bearings fail and mine is no different however I drain and fill every 10K. I have been milking it along however I have a good used one on standby.
I expect to see this last another couple years or another 60K miles.
So if its been taken care of and you continue to do so the high mileage should not be an issue.