2004 Yukon..Cig lighter, aux power 1 and 2 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All of these power ports are not working in my 2004 Yukon xl. I checked the cig and aux 1 fuses in the engine bay and aux 2 in the interior fuse box. They were all fine. I measured power at each of these locations and got nothing. So no power going to these fuses at all. Seems wierd it would effect interior fuse box and exterior fuse box. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these power ports are not working in my 2004 Yukon xl. I checked the cig and aux 1 fuses in the engine bay and aux 2 in the interior fuse box. They were all fine. I measured power at each of these locations and got nothing. So no power going to these fuses at all. Seems wierd it would effect interior fuse box and exterior fuse box. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
how did you test for power at the fuses? the fuse receptacle only conducts power from point a to point b, you have to utilize a separate ground. I just changed the power ports on 04 because one was melted on the backside and was shorting the fuse out slowly. if you pull the ac control out you can access the harness from there.

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
how did you test for power at the fuses? the fuse receptacle only conducts power from point a to point b, you have to utilize a separate ground. I just changed the power ports on 04 because one was melted on the backside and was shorting the fuse out slowly. if you pull the ac control out you can access the harness from there.
I feel dumb lol of course I need to ground it. Don’t know what I was thinking. So I guess they are all powered. But I did a cont. test on each fuse and all were fine. So maybe your right and it’s time to look at the ports themselves.

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel dumb lol of course I need to ground it. Don’t know what I was thinking. So I guess they are all powered. But I did a cont. test on each fuse and all were fine. So maybe your right and it’s time to look at the ports themselves.

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also I stuck a multimeter i. All 3 ports and got nothing. Dissent it seem unusual. That all 3 have working fuses but don’t function?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I stuck a multimeter i. All 3 ports and got nothing. Dissent it seem unusual. That all 3 have working fuses but don’t function?
has any work been done to it? a aftermarket radio install or anything electrical?, if you have power at the fuses and not at the ports I would check the harness behind the dash pretty easy to get to, depending on your dash design there is a harness that feeds 2 ports and another that feeds 3 ports, are all your port next to each other? like 3 in a row side by side? if so there is one harness for them.

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No t
has any work been done to it? a aftermarket radio install or anything electrical?, if you have power at the fuses and not at the ports I would check the harness behind the dash pretty easy to get to, depending on your dash design there is a harness that feeds 2 ports and another that feeds 3 ports, are all your port next to each other? like 3 in a row side by side? if so there is one harness for them.
no cig and one aux power is on the front dash and a third is in the trunk. I don’t know any history on this since I baught it last weekend.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No t
no cig and one aux power is on the front dash and a third is in the trunk. I don’t know any history on this since I baught it last weekend.
if you turn the key to start, leave the truck off, put your foot on the brake pull the shifter down to 1st gear, adjust the steering wheel down, then you can grab the trim piece around the instrument cluster and radio/ac panel and pull it towards you it will just pop off, it has clips, pull it towards you and put it to the side, then put it back in park. you can then use a 7mm socket and take out the 2 screws holding the ac control in place, then it has 4 white plastic clips, take a small screw driver and push each clip in while pulling out on the control and it will pop out, then you will then have access to the power port harness and you can see it has been cut or disconnected or anything. you can also check it for power there.

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you turn the key to start, leave the truck off, put your foot on the brake pull the shifter down to 1st gear, adjust the steering wheel down, then you can grab the trim piece around the instrument cluster and radio/ac panel and pull it towards you it will just pop off, it has clips, pull it towards you and put it to the side, then put it back in park. you can then use a 7mm socket and take out the 2 screws holding the ac control in place, then it has 4 white plastic clips, take a small screw driver and push each clip in while pulling out on the control and it will pop out, then you will then have access to the power port harness and you can see it has been cut or disconnected or anything. you can also check it for power there.
Thanks for the dash info. Super easy. I had a bit of a surprise.... looks like someone at some point added a switch that goes nowhere and cut the power wires that lead to the ports. They both get voltage. I’m just gonna but some aftermarket ports that don’t require a funky connector and wire them back up. Thanks again for the help!

OP
OP
Z

Zburhop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also for those that have seen inside. Half the harness goes to the port but a bunch of wires takes a 90degree turn. Is that normal. Looks like whoever messed around with this Rick was pretty careless so I’m trying to verify what I can.

C1A613B7-9A31-4A0B-959B-54A734654D6B.jpeg A4BC3599-BF73-4561-9FE3-6471A48C7FF8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne